Here's one of my jobs on You Tube

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've mentioned before that I've been doing some work for builders that build Eco Houses.

Well here's one of them in a short clip on You Tube

https://www.youtube.com/embed/QCCarAeuUEU?feature=oembedThis is the 7th of these eco houses that I have wired, but this one was a bit different. It was built pre fabricated in the builders workshop 3 miles from me, and delivered to site in 4 sections as seen on the video.

I first fixed, and indeed partly second fixed and partly tested the installation in the workshop before delivery. It only took 1 day on site to connect the sections together, complete the second fix and complete the testing.

This one was built as a "portable building" as it replaced a static caravan, so comes under the same planning law as a caravan, and didn't need building control. Some of the others have been built as portable buildings as well, but they were all fabricated on site. This was the first truly prefabricated one that I've done.

Hopefully many more of these to come.

The interconnections were done with proper connections at the accessories.

So take a ring final for example, each section was pre wired, with a flying lead, and draw string installed at the joints between modules.

So as the builder slotted them together on site, he pulled the joining wires in, using the drawstrings I had left.

That then just left me to go and fit the final accessories that made the joints between the modules.

The build technique is perfect for wiring. Before plasterboarding (thermocell not plasterboard in this case) the walls are lined with horizontal battens. That gives a service void for cables and pipes.

Conveniently, the first batten is 400mm off the floor, so all sockets fit immediately above that batten, and the batten then provides a cable route, in a safe zone, all around the building. And being just a void between the wall and the thermocell, it's easy to fish the joining wires through as the building is slotted together.

Same principle for light switches.

Latest posts