Homeowner reported getting a shock from the taps !!!!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mort2376

The devil's in the details, or the dodgy wiring !
Supporting Member
Reaction score
200 year old property.

Lead incoming water main.
Wylex 3036 fusebox (correct because it has fuses 🤔)

Customer had a bust 2 years ago and fixed with plastic pipe.

Recently had a large leak.

Attachments

• VID-20221021-WA0000.mp4
    2.3 MB
200 year old property.

Lead incoming water main.
Wylex 3036 fusebox (correct because it has fuses 🤔)

Customer had a bust 2 years ago and fixed with plastic pipe.

Recently had a large leak.
I nearly got killed by live pipework, old rewirable fuse board, redundant immersion cct not disconnected that run into the attic through the bathroom somewhere Bath fitter had put screw through the cable making the bath frame (plastic bath) and parts of the pipework live, which was mostly copper with plastic elbows. The elbows were enough to insulate the pipes and keep them live. Customer had complained of hearing 'popping noises' from under the bath and called me in to investigate, which I guess was leccy occasionally arcing past the elbows. I was reaching in under the bath with the volt probes and brushed my arm against a live pipe, much swearing followed.

Similar to this was an investigation I did a few years ago where a very old lady complained of "tingling" when she was in her bathroom - my investigation concluded that the SL cable from the light switch had been contact with the shower frame , meaning that when the lights we on the shower frame was at 230V

One guy I know had a light up wall in his shower where the electricity would dance around. He said it had been like that for years.

It's amazing what we are still finding like this.

few years ago called to similar - large house made into 2, upstairs & downstairs with shared front entrance. 2 meters & 2x fuse boxes (yes @BorisJ , actual fuses) in the hallway. downstairs getting a shock from the pipework. turn off the supply to upstairs and voltage disappears... TT supply, no RCD, dead short L-E upstairs on the lights

people have been killed from these kind of mishaps. Most common was instead of using 3 core and earth for a boiler feed so you can have perm L and switched, someone decided to use twin &e and use the E for a L feed. Somewhere along the cable it got cut and bonded to the sink. Someone was killed.

Was doing investigation on my previous home found the bedroom sockets were fed from neighbours ring main, didn’t tell them just plugged washing machine & tumble dryer into bedroom sockets 🤣 Apparently was a shared loft at one time before a dividing wall was installed.

Had a similar experience as an apprentice. Rewiring a 3 storey restaurant in MICC cable.

Main had been disconnected to a temp board so I was sent up to top floor to disconnected and remove all accessories.

Did a few fine no problems. Came to the sockets near the dance floor, removed one grabbed the cables to cut them and went flying across the dance floor.

Sockets were fed from the next door pub.

Boss came up hearing the bang and thud and quickly did the others before next door turned the circuit back on.

Think he made a good few beer tokens when the owner next door needed a sparky as the upstairs sockets wouldn't come on !!!!

Latest posts