Honeywell Galaxy 2 Series Intruder Alarm

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cymbeline

Reaction score
Hi

I have the above system with wireless pir's - the batteries in the pir's are Duracell CR123 3v lithium. They lasted about 3 years before the low bat warning meant each one needed replacing. I replaced them with identical batteries but the pir's are only lasting about 6 months before the low bat warning displays on the panel. When I test the batteries on the metre they are indicating a strong almost full charge.

Replacing with a new battery does fix the problem albeit each detector only lasts the 6 months. The batteries were bought as one batch and have a use by date of 2021.

I can't make sense why I can get over 3 years out of original batteries and identical replacements aren't lasting. More puzzling is the fact that the batteries are still indicating a full charge. I tried swapping the old battery with another pir and still got the low bat warning. It seems as if the warning is responding to a very low drop in battery power.

Any thoughts?

Dodgy batch of batteries.

Friend has same as you, and like you after 3ish years, new batteries, how ever unlike you nearly a year later batteries still ok.

Oh, the joys of wireless alarms.

Mine is hard wired, I don't really like "radio alarms" even if it is a galaxy.

Thanks for your prompt response.

Batteries are Duracell and were bought together from buyabattery - maybe I got a few dodgy ones!

I have ordered some others so will see how we go this time. Just seems odd that battery metre says they have a high charge

steptoe, sorry but I wonder are you thinking of button cells?

200px-Battery-lithium-cr2032.jpg

The above is a button cell, which as you say you shouldn't really touch the top and bottom.

duracell-ultra-dl123a-cr123a-3v-lithium-battery-150x150.jpg
  This  is the battery in question

Cymbeline, I would not trust a battery meter as far as I could throw it. They are often unreliable and give false readings. Also most do not put the battery under any load. (Give it something to do) Without any load all a meter will tell you is the potential difference between its two terminals.

steptoe, sorry but I wonder are you thinking of button cells?

200px-Battery-lithium-cr2032.jpg

The above is a button cell, which as you say you shouldn't really touch the top and bottom.

duracell-ultra-dl123a-cr123a-3v-lithium-battery-150x150.jpg
  This  is the battery in question

Cymbeline, I would not trust a battery meter as far as I could throw it. They are often unreliable and give false readings. Also most do not put the battery under any load. (Give it something to do) Without any load all a meter will tell you is the potential difference between its two terminals.
ah,

yes,

I was thinking 'button' cell,

thanks for the correction, I dont generally do wireless systems, I just [wrongly] thought of a button cell,  my bad,  :|