Hot tub supply

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stoneman

Reaction score
Hi team,

Been asked to quote to a supply to a garden summer house with a hot-tub in it.

Customer wants a small board in there a couple of sockets, outside lts and internal wall lts.

There's about 1.5 mtrs of free space on one side where he want the board & skts.

If I class the hot-tub as a bathroom can I install board and skts on wall because it's more than 600mm out from bath and not in a zone? If the summerhouse is classed as a swimming/paddling pool then zone extends 2m and I'm stuck...!

Also, can I split the tails in the meter box and fit a switch fuse or will the dno by awkward about it (installing kit in the meter box)?

A pal also said a pool installation should be on a TT, ie not using the main PME from the house.

I'll probably give Elecsa tech line a ring as my assessment date is due and I don't want use this job in case it's all wrong! :Blushing

Could be more trouble than it's worth???

Cheers...

If you class it as a bathroom you'd not be allowed any sockets within 3 metres!

See fig 702.2 page 176 of the BRB. A hot tub is classed as a pool. So the summer house needs to be more than 4m bigger in each dimension than the tub or you are limited to only being able to install IPX4, SELV lighting.

Why would they want sockets round a pool? Planning to throw a heater in with the wife?

A pal also said a pool installation should be on a TT, ie not using the main PME from the house.

Cheers...
Oh eck. We've only just escaped by the skin of our teeth today, and then along comes Stoney to relight the blue touch paper.

Best get some beer in.

I was kinda thinkin it was a no-no....

The job looks like a can o worms. Only way to do it would be to mount a cabinet on the back of the summer house housing mains.

Do u reckon I'd get away with installing a switchfuse in the meter box?

Love lighting touch paper me...

I was kinda thinkin it was a no-no.... The job looks like a can o worms. Only way to do it would be to mount a cabinet on the back of the summer house housing mains.

Do u reckon I'd get away with installing a switchfuse in the meter box?

Love lighting touch paper me...
All depends whats in it if they have a timeclock it may be tight and technically its dno property. Now whats the part number of them small switchfuses made by mem and copied by others.

i see no competence in this job, think you should leave it and let someone do it that knows what their doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
i see no competence in this job, think you should leave it and let someone do it that knows what their doing.
Reasonable attempt at a first post, brush up on your grammar and try again.

There is no need for that comment.

This forum doesn't have the bickering and name calling certian others have.

Keep it friendly.

Hi team,Been asked to quote to a supply to a garden summer house with a hot-tub in it...............

If I class the hot-tub as a bathroom.....

if the summerhouse is classed as a swimming/paddling pool then zone extends...

Could be more trouble than it's worth???

Cheers...
As PC Elec implies you can't really call it a bathroom..

As the opening comments of 701 refer to locations containing a fixed bath (bath tub) or shower..

Whereas 702 the opening comments refer to Swimming pools, basins of fountains, basins of paddling pools and other basins.

I look as these as a hot tub is basically a grown-ups paddling pool..

whereas baths & showers is where you go butt naked to wash yourself with loads soaps, gels, shampoos etc...

Could me more trouble than its worth???

maybe? maybe not?

Providing you can fully spec out what it needed to comply with regs..

and give a true cost for doing the work it is still possible to do a proper job & make money.

either way any work needs fully agreeing in writing with customer first IMHO

:coffee