How many cables into a double socket?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The "sleeves" (sheaths) aren`t really the issue though..............its the copper cores within them.

You`ve got to either loosen or remove them; its the only way to verify their condition.

when the supposedly electrician wired our kitchen here many moons ago, he put a ring main round the kitchen pulled the original cooker feed back into loft and stuck a jb with the legs of the ring and the cooker circuit cable into it and when i found it a couple of years later i changed it immediately as i was so shocked to see what he'd done (using old 30 plus year stranded 4mm cables :eek: and then not even taking the legs back to board even tho its all loft above (its a bungalow) he also added wiring to our lighting circuit in the kitchen and used old cables that where not earthed but put a 6 foot strip light in the kitchen which had no earth protection :eek: needless to say he was never allowed to touch our electrics here again.!!

MK and GET Ultimate are defo rated to 26A.

Some sockets will take 6mm + 2x 2.5mm cables. Some won't.

If you're concerned you won't get them back in if you remove, go to CEF and get an M2 socket, these'll defo take it as they have two screws at each terminal.

View attachment 2486

just a thought but couldnt you just change the socket to a 45amp cooker switch with socket as mk k5060 , put the 6mm in the supply side and the "ring" in the load , that would still leave you a socket for the fridge

Hi Guys,

Im pretty sure somewhere states that you cannot terminate cables of different CSA together. The screw may not come down equally on all conductors ! Am i wrong ??

Hi Guys, Im pretty sure somewhere states that you cannot terminate cables of different CSA together. The screw may not come down equally on all conductors ! Am i wrong ??
:eek:

Well I could show you how putting 4 x 2.5mm or 4 x 1.5mm conductors aren't always squeezed equally in a joint!

:C

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 01:37 ---------- Previous post was made at 01:36 ----------

I have terminated 1mm conductors along side 1.5mm conductors without an issue.AndyGuinness
Quite common on some lighting circuits IMHO!

Hi Guys, Im pretty sure somewhere states that you cannot terminate cables of different CSA together. The screw may not come down equally on all conductors ! Am i wrong ??
look at the diagram in the BRB of a radial (appendix 15 i think)

I'm confused by this Lollipop thing. Why not just do a 4mm radial?

Rings are annoying me lately.

Just changed a CU in a small 2 bed house.

4 Rings

1 ring downstairs feeding basically the living room and the hallway.

2 rings in the kitchen, 1 feeding just a fridge and one double outlet, the other feeding the rest. The ring had an IR fault on one leg going back to the board, so after accessing the small scale of the property decide to stick that ring on a 20A breaker as a radial.

Overkill of rings. The downstairs ring could have easily been a radial. The upstairs ring, probably as well but that might as well be a ring.

people always moan about rings but if you are doing a cu change and cannot access all the sockets how would you know there is a fault on a radial circuit?