How to "daisy-chain" for a sign

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cliffarundel

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am looking to create a some 4ft letters with the edison bulbs in them but have no idea how to do the lighting. I looked at getting string lights but finding the right amount of bulbs on string for each letter is proving impossible.

Can anyone offer advice on how to make my own string of lights or what I've hears is called "daisy-chaining".

Cheers

Position the bulb holders in your letters.
With enough cable to run to a single Live, Neutral, and Earth connection box inside each letter.
So each bulb in each letter is in parallel, not "daisy-chained" if I understand the term.
Then a single LNE cable from each letter to another LNE connection box.
Finally from there another cable to a 13A plug containing a suitably rated fuse.
If the sign is going to be outdoors, attention to waterproofing (IP Rating) will be required for safety.

I would suggest the festoon lights would be of no benefit in this case, as the OP did say
I looked at getting string lights but finding the right amount of bulbs on string for each letter is proving impossible.

Not to mention the OP also said
but have no idea how to do the lighting
So he would not realise / understand he would need a transformer too.

I would suggest geoff1946 gave the best answer when he said
I would be looking at led strips these days.