kitchen help request

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out of interest....why are you not surprised?
no, i'm saying don't say that. ie youze lot saying you are not surprised that a contractor has turned the job down, because i'm some sort of "difficult" client, which i'm not, clearly. i'm simply trying to learn "what i'm talking about" b4 trying anything. aside from what i've already done. ie new sockets and light switches in other rooms that no-one apparently will test, due to the fact that it wasn't them who put them in. i'll have to pay whoever it is to certify it. the council is it ??

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 18:22 ---------- Previous post was made at 18:17 ----------

I think I would be more worried about why the contractor declined the job than what the size of the tails!
what are tails though ?? just out of interest. i think he declined it because i was too vague and he read the condition test differently to how it had been explained to me. ie no rewiring required. he wanted to run a separate and distinct new circuit in.

ie new sockets and light switches in other rooms that no-one apparently will test, due to the fact that it wasn't them who put them in. i'll have to pay whoever it is to certify it. the council is it ??
you are a 'difficult client', and personally, i would probably not be interested in working for you either.

and good luck getting someone to I&T your work. yes, it can be done, but its rare in domestic. also, if it was a notifiable job, then its against part P for someone to notify any work other than their own anyway.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 18:27 ---------- Previous post was made at 18:26 ----------

he wanted to run a separate and distinct new circuit in.
as in, he wanted to do the job properly, which would be much more future proof, and a far better job, but you wanted it done on the cheap and bodged

"part of the reason i want to save a bit of cash is that strictly speaking its not so much a grant as a loan. in that you have to pay it back if you ever sell the property. and as has been said, the council will only stand for surface mounted. hence my chasing in preoccupation."

When you are ready to sell the place nobody will buy it because the electrics cannot be judged to be safe, that is if it hasn't burnt down first. Also let your insurance company know that you have done the work so they can adjust the premiums upwards or cancel the policy.

Phil, I personally think you have gone about this in completely the wrong manner, hence why you are getting the responses that at you are.

What you should of perhaps considered is the long term benefits as opposed to short term savings.

You would have been much wiser too have approached the council and addressed your concerns, offering alternatives to their surface mount only policy. You could of negotiated with them that you would be happy to assist there chosen spark by doing all the donkey work, under instruction from the spark.

Perhaps you may of got the result that you so desparately want?!

Is this a wind up?
I recall to the witness box... Parky Sparky's post 28.....

Its either a wind up.....

Or an idjut who asks for advbice...

Then ignores it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you are wasting your time boys...... :shakehead

:(

let PHILMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

do what the heck he wants.....

its not my children, family, relatives, loved ones who are at risk.....

Just PHIL(i know more than qualified electricians)MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM and his loved ones who are at risk!!!

:C

Last edited by a moderator:
let PHILMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

do what the heck he wants.....

its not my children, family, relatives, loved ones who are at risk.....

Just PHIL(i know more than qualified electricians)MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM and his loved ones who are at risk!!!

:C

Just so we're clear here - this is Phil.M's thread here, nothing to do with me gov'nor :innocent

New CU, rewire kitchen, the thing is this: yes the wiring may well be in satisfactory condition now, but in several years??

Rewire at least the kitchen as this is usually the hardest to do once a kitchen/tiling etc is installed.

4mm for a cooker! If you ever wanted to change to a ceramic hob and electric oven or some other high current using appliance, you would need to uprate the cable - this is one of these scenarios where I would advise 'future proofing' there is no reason that you cannot utilise existing conduit etc

As an aside did your electrician actually do a full test on each cct as approprite, ie R1,Rn,R2,(Ring), R1+R2, IR, Zs or was it just a visual.

I suspect the latter from the tone of your post! You havn't even mentioned the condition of the earthing or its upgrading.

This is also notifiable work, obviously beyond your scope - get your Sparks back!!