Kitchen hob

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meady

Reaction score
I'm in the process of planning a kitchen fit, The main oven and hob are on different sides of the room. I was going to wire the hob into the kitchen ring via a 13a fcu. I think the max output for the hob is 3kw but is there any diversity to be applied?

Really? I would have thought the hob was the biggest user in the kitchen. Most rings are around 3kW each so multiply that by the number there.

You need to check the ratings of the chosen appliances. Small single ovens are often wired from a switched fcu. A hob or freestanding cooker usually requires its own cooker circuit.

Agree with Ian, hob usually pulls a lot more than most ovens.

That's what I thought, I have seen hobs which draw over 7kw. This hob is a 2 ring burner with max output of 3600w. That works out roughly just over 15amps without diversity. I might just stick in a seperate circuit in 6mm cable to future proof myself.

That's what I thought, I have seen hobs which draw over 7kw. This hob is a 2 ring burner with max output of 3600w. That works out roughly just over 15amps without diversity. I might just stick in a seperate circuit in 6mm cable to future proof myself.
You can do it in 2.5mm as long as you ensure the current carrying capacity of the cable is reflected in your choice of protective device. i.e. A 20A MCB.

You can do it in 2.5mm as long as you ensure the current carrying capacity of the cable is reflected in your choice of protective device. i.e. A 20A MCB.
While that is totally correct, I feel its always better to 'over spec' the cable for cookers as if they are upgraded in the future by mr diy he may also upgrade the overcurrent device too to stop it tripping leaving the cable as a potential fire risk.