Landlords PIR joke.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sellers

Reaction score
Mull this one over,

Customer rings me up asking for a second opinion on a pir that a local electrician had done on their rented property coutesy of the letting agent.

He conducted a visual inspection with the cert being a word document and came out with a few switches with no earths (been cut short) ok thats fine.

the main problems with the report were I found were that a code 1 was given to the cooker circuit being wired in ruber cable (I tested and came out with 20meg to earth), code 1 for No RCD protection, code 1 for undersized tails and main earth which are 25mm and 16mm?? Board is a 6way wylex rewireable fusebox.

At the bottom of the page in bold we have 'needs a full consumer unit with rcd protection' and also 'please note price for rectification cannot be provided due to property needing a full re-wire'

After a quick look tonight all switches have earths that need extending, cooker brings 20meg, quick global IR gives 1.8meg, fusebox has a blatant live part accessable which was missed off.

I can't beleive the words 'needing a full rewire'!

:red card

Unfortunately, there are always some of those around. I`d prob. code the rubber, but not as a 1. Having said that; I try to back up all my comments with the reg. they pertain to (n.b. word of the day: pertain).

"needs a full rewire" is NOT an acceptable comment on a PIR, in any situation.

KME

id be more worried about the condition of the rubber cabling than how it tested.

due to age and general condition of the installation a rewire should be considered as part of any future works

if NO direct faults on their own directly relate to this, but perhaps as a collective may be dodgy.

The electrician stated looks very proffessional has a brand new van, obviously paid for by this kind of thing. It annoys me how I drive round in my 8year old van with the odd rust patch doing an honest job searching for work at the moment!

My mate has just been asked to quote for a rewire as indicated on a PIR

guess what ?? doesnt need a rewire just a few remedials and extra sockets as requested by the owner

so this seems to be happening everywhere X(

The electrician stated looks very proffessional has a brand new van, obviously paid for by this kind of thing. It annoys me how I drive round in my 8year old van with the odd rust patch doing an honest job searching for work at the moment!
Know how u feel mate....oh that reminds me, got a patch of rust to sort on the van if the weather holds off. ;)

Here's one I came across recently. It's from a local, well known firm with a good reputation. Very heavy on the 1s and 2s.

A code 1 for someone tie-wrapping the bonding cable to the gas pipe!

All the bathroom lights were actually outside the zones.

Code 2 for no labels! Come on, we see that every day.

I did a lot of work at this place, including a new hi-int CU.

Oh, and they didn't mention the shared neutral on the landing light!

Buckland PIR 2_2.jpg

He's coded the bathroom lights a code 1, they are old fashioned down lighters with big es lamps. In zone 2, should this be a code 4 or 2?

Here's one I came across recently. It's from a local, well known firm with a good reputation. Very heavy on the 1s and 2s.A code 1 for someone tie-wrapping the bonding cable to the gas pipe!

All the bathroom lights were actually outside the zones.

Code 2 for no labels! Come on, we see that every day.

I did a lot of work at this place, including a new hi-int CU.

Oh, and they didn't mention the shared neutral on the landing light!
Thats just downright wrong.

Thats just downright wrong.
Yes, that's why I ended up with the work. the owner just didn't believe the report so called me in as I'd been recommended to him. i used the ESC BPG for PIRs to re-code most of what they'd found and then developed a work plan to rectify the known problems, replace the CU and convert a room to an office with a couple of new circuits. Some of their obs were fair but most of it was ott.

You'll see on the form he put something about the earth being unstable under test. I don't know what he meant by this. It was a TN-S and I tested Ze several times on several of the days I was there, but it never varied by more than 0.2 (Ze was 0.13).

They were obviously just after scaring the owner into a rewire. There was a fair amount of remedial work, but it didn't need a rewire. In the end he spent about

Very well said, its a credit to the profession that there are people like you who care enough to put the client first.