Looking for MS-DOS disks or images

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Need to rebuild a control for a client.

Need to get a running version of DOS 3.2/3.3 & 4/4.22.

Anyone know where I can get disks or images, they don't seem to be purchasable any more!

Thanks in advance! ;)

I'll have a scratch around for a downloadable version of DOS when I have time. It's still subject to M$ proprietary licensing as far as I know so depending on your location it may not be legal to download it.

This site also has some useful bits and pieces such as autoexec batch files and config.sys etc

The client has licensed versions of the requisite DOS, just no disks to do the re-install!

I don't need autoexec or config files I can write my own, but they are actually not needed as they are on the backup disks that we need to restore to the machine!

Trouble is MS-DOS backup/restore are version specific!

No I don't, why should I, the client never did one! ;)

It's not quite that simple either, as the CNC does not actually "run" MS-DOS!

This is not of my doing, I'm trying to dig a client out of the stuff here.

Clonezilla won't run on the CNC control anyway.

freedos may run, but TBH I doubt it, and will it access DOS 3.3/4.22 backup files?...

This is not quite a straight forward PC.

Also, the CNC/PLC software will ONLY run on the version of MS-DOS for which it was configured.

So freedos won't run the PLC/CNC anyway.

Without the fact I can't extract the machine PLC & CNC parameters from the backup without the original version of MS-DOS!

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 20:31 ---------- Previous post was made at 20:30 ----------

Canoe,

I "can't" fix it till I can do the restore!

The link I have given allows you to download the image for 3.3 and 4.0 onwards so you should be ok if you have Nero or similar software.

I stand corrected its apparently a boot disc

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically I am after the MS-DOS 3.3/4.22 "Restore.exe" that I can persuade to run on a PC, possibly the machine control to restore the files.

I "may" able able to hack certain versions to run, but without the original files I'm stuffed!

Erm.........literally just binned a set of Tulip 5 1/4" MS-DOS 3.3ish floppys all in the original grey manual - SORRY! Might have MS-DOS 6.2ish in the loft on 3.5" and also Digital Research DR-DOS discs..........

I have a fully pukka in the box copy of Compaq MS-DOS V5

Books & 4 x 3.5" diskettes...

Are later versions of DOS not backward compatible with the earlier versions...

I cant remember??

:C

I have 6.22, DR-DOS won't run, tried that! ;)

Also I need it on 3.5", but I may be able to convert, though my 5.25" disk drive is playing up!

Thanks anyway.