Max Zs

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
additionally? the rule of thumb allows for the fact that when measuring the Zs the circuit is cold, and the resistance will be 'artificially' low, and pre-supposes that the circuit will be at normal operating temperatue when the fault happens
Which was indeed what I just said. ;)

POST 4:- "@ normal operating temperatue! if not adjusted re Appendix 14."

POST 11:-"that allow for increased heat in a conductor during earth fault!

NICEIC quote these 80% values as the max value when testing cold conductors.."

;) :)

of course it is pretty much irrelevant unfer the 17th edition anyway' date=' as most circuits need only be lower than 1667 ohms (can opened, worms everywhere)

but of course [u']i am not a real electrician so i am only guessing:^O
It would appear with statements like that you are obviously not bud?

1667Ω is the limit to ensure 50v "touch voltage not exceeded"..... as in 1667Ω x 30ma = 50v

And I would assume you are not suggesting to ignore? .....

Big red book Pg 59:

415.1.2 The use of RCD's is not recognised as a sole means of protection and does not obviate the need to apply one of the protective measures specified in sections 411 to 414
411 - Automatic disconnection of supply

412 - double or reinforced insulation

413 - electrical separation

414 - extra low voltage provided by SELV or PELV

"

of course it is pretty much irrelevant unfer the 17th edition anyway..."
Its probably not a lot of help to others just sticking out a bland statement like this without justifying it a bit for the benefit of others reading who genuinely would like to learn!Lets face it anyone can type any old statement just to cause confusion.. but it's not really helpful is it? ?:|

I do hope you can put more positive input than this to the forum? and this has nothing to do with the reasons you have left your other place? :|

(Can closed Worms Squashed)! ; \

If I have miss interpreted your meaning here I appologise.. :( Lets hope for more constructive debate ;) :) :D

oh there is also many an industrial / commercial application where RCDs not needed?

or even in a domestic.. with surface conduit to FCU suppling some fixed equipment? RCD? Nope! :)

The aggression that comes across from you posts show me that you either;

1) have a problem with one or two new members

or

2) are a little insecure

Maybe both?? wanna talk about it? a problem shared and all that:)

There is many ways to disagree with people, theres the respectful way or there is your way

Trouble with your way is that it makes you look like an a*se (no offence:))

Oh dear........ Special location picking a fight with Shakey........ and it's only the 1st day!!

Mark

Oh dear........ Special location picking a fight with Shakey........ and it's only the 1st day!!Mark
Fights do not usually occur on this forumX(

Constructive and imformative posts do, this is down to the good work of the respected posters ,the extremely hard work of the Admins and Moderators. ;)

We are all happy to be here and hope you are too ?:|

Please do not make this forum desend into the likes of some others] :)

Respect to all ssab.

The aggression that comes across from you posts show me that you either; 1) have a problem with one or two new members

or

2) are a little insecure

There is many ways to disagree with people, theres the respectful way or there is your way

Steady on mate. Special Location is top poster on here and therfore top dog!

He's answering in his normal manner. He's been helpful and refering back to specific points.

Mr location is very respectful. I'm sure you are welcome here but bear in mind that there's an established pecking order coming along as a newbie and being confrontational is not the way to go.

It's like being back at school and going to play footy with the neighbouring school and all the boys wanna fight each other

Mark

ps my dad's bigger than your dad!!!

Cmon now, no reason for any ill feeling at all. Let's be as honourable and mutually respectful as we can hey?
I'm sure that's what we all want.

Monkeyboy stirring things up really isn't necessary :|

Agreed. Monkeyboy -
post-386-1127687954.gif

Sorry didn't mean to "stir things up" just trying to inject some humour into the situation. Maybe irony doesn't come across on text!!!!

Mark

OK referring back to the original question---What are the maximum earth fault loop impedance readings permitted for a BS 60898 type B mcb for a 6, 20 ans 32 Amp circuits.

What do you put down on a TT system with say an Ra of 50 ohms?

I'm with Shakey on this issue.

Wherever 30mA RCDs are fitted I always put the figure 1667ohms and when time delayed 100mA were used I put 500ohms.

I have had many NICEIC inspections and the results were never questioned.

Dave

Evening SL, can you confirm that values are in the regs book & not the OSG, I was told by Elecsa at my assesment that we were to use the OSG its easier than doing the 80% malarky.

NWDS

Evening SL, can you confirm that values are in the regs book & not the OSG, I was told by Elecsa at my assesment that we were to use the OSG its easier than doing the 80% malarky.NWDS
Different bodies different rules?

OK referring back to the original question---What are the maximum earth fault loop impedance readings permitted for a BS 60898 type B mcb for a 6, 20 ans 32 Amp circuits.What do you put down on a TT system with say an Ra of 50 ohms?

I'm with Shakey on this issue.

Wherever 30mA RCDs are fitted I always put the figure 1667ohms and when time delayed 100mA were used I put 500ohms.

I have had many NICEIC inspections and the results were never questioned.

Dave
I may be being stupid here but i use iee certs and on there you do not need to put max values in so why do you need these values.

Batty?

:|

Oh dear........ Special location picking a fight with Shakey........ and it's only the 1st day!!Mark
?? ?:|

eh? did I miss a whole bunch of posts or something??

I believe from My post #21

If I have miss interpreted your meaning here I apologise.. Lets hope for more constructive debate.
is wot I rote! ;) :)

IMO

A reply relating to points with any relevant reference's regs etc.. or similar is helpful for ALL to fully understand a topic?

rather than just stating one's personal opinions? It has been on numerous occasions in the past anyway? :|

e.g. the apparent inconsistency between Shakey's statement...

'of course it is pretty much irrelevant unfer the 17th edition anyway, etc..'-VS-

Reg 415.1.2 The use of RCD's is not recognised as a sole means of protection...etc.. ?
not sure how this is fight picking?

but I have been wrong before... :( and no doubt will be wrong again

and am more than willing to take on board other's explanations... if there is something there to read? ?:| :|

and/or have me knuckles whacked my admin or the Moderators IF I have stepped out of line! :| :(

Blushing;) :)

Fights do not usually occur on this forumX(Darn right they don't - Healthy debate? That's a different ball game.

Constructive and imformative posts do, this is down to the good work of the respected posters ,the extremely hard work of the Admins and Moderators. ;)

Thanks, SSAB. :x

We are all happy to be here and hope you are too ?:|

I am and I do too.

Please do not make this forum desend into the likes of some others] :)

Agreed, and I won't let it. As I said from the start - any nonsense it to be kept for other forums. Banter and serious stuff to be kept for on here. ;) (As the regs know - there have been several people that have been banned for that).

Respect to all ssab.
:D

The aggression that comes across from you posts show me that you either; 1) have a problem with one or two new members

or

2) are a little insecure

hmmm?

don't think I shall bother pursuing this non-electrical non-topic relevant bit here? :|

but maybe you better call me bum-face then I spose? :| if thats the way you feel.... :(

I don't recall calling any body names? :(

only agreeing or disagreeing with the statements they have written? ?:|

I shall see if I have a picture of the other end of me G-Pig and change me avatar! ]:)

guess its lucky Steptoe wasn't replying! :D :eek: :^O:^O:^O

I may be being stupid here but i use iee certs and on there you do not need to put max values in so why do you need these values.Batty?

:|
hi batty

i was under the impression that by having to put the max values down, it then ensures that one actually knows what values not to exceed. I am sure that there is some other reason for this , but especially now since the values are different in the 17th, if i get a .89 ohm reading on a 6A 60898 mcb i can be sure that the red book will let me know if i.m getting close as i have to check it anyway.

Macca

Have one on me.

Guiness Drink

And also as a side note, I may not be a regular poster or a long time member of this forum, But I DO find it very helpful and am grateful for constructive replies and comments

Macca