Mcb Or Rcbo

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecasam

Reaction score
Hello All. Hope you all had a great Christmas.

My friend called me round for the following problem at his house. He could not reset his MCB to the downstairs sockets. After investigation I found a short in the first leg of his ring main supplying 12 sockets. As he was lucky (in a way) that it was in the first (or last) feed from the CU. I changed the 32amp MCB for a 20amp and made it a radial. All readings were OK. I put it on a 20amp MCB, but is that OK or should I have got him an rcbo, as his board has no RCD protection.

Thanks in advance for replies.

I wish you all and myself good luck for 2009. :) ;)

I would have done the same and as the Regs are not retrospective I would'nt have fitted an RCD or RCBO either unless the client was agreeable to the extra cost.

In my opiniion we cannot go round forcing customers to upgrade, sometimes at considerable cost to them.

Deke

Technically you worked on the circuit so shouldn't you leave it with RCD protection and fit an RCBO?

If it's a job for a mate probably doesn't matter!

Happy new year to you too :D

Technically you worked on the circuit so shouldn't you leave it with RCD protection and fit an RCBO? If it's a job for a mate probably doesn't matter!

Ah yes but........

he has left the circuit in a safer condition

ar5e covered

Thanks for responses:D

Is not best friend, so I charged (Discounted), Minor works issued, No RCD noted on departures.

Started thinking should have done RCBO.

So what I done is OK in your opinions. Am I just driving myself mad? :_| :_|

When you say downstairs sockets does this include kitchen. If so you will probably have overload problems on 20a mcb. I personally would sort out fault and if possible put back on 32 amp rcbo. Just my opinion though.

Batty

Thanks Batty, will Google for future reference. Not sure I want to revisit and change, unless majority feel I should. Blushing It is safer then it was. ;)

When you say downstairs sockets does this include kitchen. If so you will probably have overload problems on 20a mcb. I personally would sort out fault and if possible put back on 32 amp rcbo. Just my opinion though.Batty
i`m with batty,

whats your thoughts on a radial on 2.5 and that many sockets ??

i personally would not be happy and i think the reason you have asked the question is that your not overly happy either . :)

i know there's no such thing as temporary with electrics but would of got him working and gone back to do a repair to get the circuit back up to 100%, as its a repair i would not of fitted a rcd/rcbo either but noted it.

a few calcs gives me.. just to see.

max load 3kw/13 Amp max length 2.5 T&E is 49 mtr max with 5% volt drop

max load 4kw/17 Amp max length 2.5 T&E is 37 mtr max with 5% volt drop.

both @ 30 degrees.

Yes. I am Busted. Blushing

Not overly happy, after thoughts are the Bain of my life. :(

It is a lounge number 2; sockets provide music system and lamps. TV & Kids are in the other lounge. Nice. :eek:

i always think of worse scenario .

gas fire goes **** up so they fit an electric 1 and spur off a socket.

then wife comes in with ironing board to watch coronation street.

fire on full 2 Kw ,tv,iron,sky,

daughter walks in plugs hair straightener in and hair dryer and does her hair.

xmas lights are on in the corner, lamp in the other corner.

builders putting footings in for the conservatory and has mixer plugged in and says yes 4 sockets in the conservatory i will run a wire to the socket in the lounge and drill through the wall should be fine. :)

hehe

what time you going back tomorrow ?

Technically you worked on the circuit so shouldn't you leave it with RCD protection and fit an RCBO? If it's a job for a mate probably doesn't matter!

No. you have done a repair to a faulty circuit..

the circuit has not been extended or modified to increase its overall load on the installation.

The are No new sockets added.

so there are no NEW works that need to comply with current regs..

Assuming

R1+R2

Ins Res

Earth Loop

etc..

are ALL appropriate for the MCB rating then no greater danger than before the customer rang you! ;) :) IMHO! :)

You would still do well to advise the customer that safety can be improved with the installation of an RCD/RCBO tho! ;)

i always think of worse scenario .gas fire goes **** up so they fit an electric 1 and spur off a socket.

then wife comes in with ironing board to watch coronation street.

fire on full 2 Kw ,tv,iron,sky,

daughter walks in plugs hair straightener in and hair dryer and does her hair.

xmas lights are on in the corner, lamp in the other corner.

builders putting footings in for the conservatory and has mixer plugged in and says yes 4 sockets in the conservatory i will run a wire to the socket in the lounge and drill through the wall should be fine. :)

hehe
then the 20A MCB trips.... & you tell someone to unplug something! :)

Don't forget there are still a fair few properties around the country with only ONE socket circuit.. on a 30A wylex semi-enclosed fuse....

kitchen... lounge.. bedrooms the lot!!!

or still with a 60a Main fuse!!!

a little diversity goes a long way!