Method Statements

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy™

©Resident Geordie™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any method statements for carrying out a PIR or installing lighting in commercial premises?

need to get some of these sorted soon as, but i havent got a clue where to start with it...

Ahh more Health and safety bull.

Just write something along lines of a safe job, ie isolate supply, check its dead, use of correct access gear, list potential risks such as electrocution, asbestos etc. The main object of the exercise is to show you have considered potetial problems, not to stop you working. Don't think there is a set format, but always nice to set out a form which can then be modified to suite each job.

Ahh more Health and safety bull.Just write something along lines of a safe job, ie isolate supply, check its dead, use of correct access gear, list potential risks such as electrocution, asbestos etc. The main object of the exercise is to show you have considered potetial problems, not to stop you working. Don't think there is a set format, but always nice to set out a form which can then be modified to suite each job.
i have managed to get some risk assessments together, just have no idea where to start with method statement... doesnt sem to be any guidance online for it

complete waste of time, of course

Does anyone have any method statements for carrying out a PIR or installing lighting in commercial premises?need to get some of these sorted soon as, but i havent got a clue where to start with it...
Just think of how you would do the job whilst working and then put the procedure down in writing and there is your method statement

Will have to modify that to suit what i want.

jobs like this probably need hours doubled to account for paperwork req'd.... wouldnt be too bad if i enjoyed all the writing needed!

I personally would refer to the big book in the method statement something like....

PIR- The inspection process will be carried out using the guidelines outlined in BS7671 in particular guidance note 3.

The method statement doesn't have to be a novel a few one liners are sufficient particularlly if you have referenced other literature.

The lighting job is the most difficult. You need to do as blinky says but still quote any literature you think relavent as it saves you re-inventing the wheel.

I personally would refer to the big book in the method statement something like....PIR- The inspection process will be carried out using the guidelines outlined in BS7671 in particular guidance note 3.

The method statement doesn't have to be a novel a few one liners are sufficient particularlly if you have referenced other literature.

The lighting job is the most difficult. You need to do as blinky says but still quote any literature you think relavent as it saves you re-inventing the wheel.
Does not work like that as you have to say how you are actually going to do the job as every job can be different with different risks attached. A domestic PIR would be totally different from one carried out in a factory.

The big book does not tell how to do the test only what has to be tested, which what a method statement is for.

What I was trying to say was the job would be carried out to the requirements of the big book. Guidance note three is full of references to methods of testing, for instance 2.7.13 earth electrode testing fig 6 is this not a method?

I do realise each job is different but I for one am not a chartered engineer or a member of the IEE just a common garden spark and the regs are written by experts so why not use them to cut down your input. I do this all the time and haven't had one knockback due to a bad method statement.

Phew

Andy

If you can send me e-mail address I can send you risk assesment and method statement for lighting and PIR

Dave