Mobile Phones - Which platform & why?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My problem Barry is I am more often than not out for 12hrs per day.Also, sometimes I don't get home for a week!

I run my business from the mobile basically, so I need to have my office with me whereever I go.

Hence why I want email on the phone.
I know we are all different Slidey as said for me for the work I do don't need the internet so can't really help with phones so probably should keep my hooter out of it. All I can say is I always get nokia phones as they seem the easiest to use but that probably no help to you.

No mate, all contributions welcome!

I was always a Nokia fan, however, I found that they could not do what I wanted a while ago & have never looked back at them TBH.

Like Steps says..

battery life is "P.P." on his x10 and my HTC Desire compared to Nokia's & Blackberries... although I tend to get between 16 and 20 hours use before the battery dies,, but then again I don't think the iPhone is any better???

TBH I don't think you'll be disappointed with an Android phone,, I'm not.... I use it for normal phone stuff, e-mails, photo's, manuals, internet searches and my Part P notifications when I'm out and about.... I even use the GPS if I can't find the place I need to be;)

OK,

Thanks one & all, so far it looks like the following:

Out,

Iphone, Nokia

Considering,

BB, Android or Windows

I will have 2 shots with Orange.

As far as BB goes it has to be the Torch

Windows it will be the HTC 7 Mozart

I now need to look at the Android options

Remember when looking at Android phones that the software is all the same,, it's the hardware you need to look at..

although I have read on Android forums that Samsung phones are very slow to get updates... make sure that it's running Android 2.2 (Froyo) at least (that will give you WiFi and USB tethering)

Personally I'm not too bothered about the OS now as mine is rooted, so I can put on it what I want... If you're up here before you upgrade we can meet up and you can have a play if you want;)

Was any decision made sides? this thread has been really useful my iphone is reaching the end of its life over two years old and its getting a bit dodgy.

Im looking at the iphone 4 and bb torch, iphone is rock solid, never had a BB but looks good. A mobile phone reveiw website said the google phone was the best but i hadnt seen it mentioned in this thread??

Google phone = Android phone

There are many ANdroid phones available by different manufacturers... essentially the software is the same (with some tweaks) it's just the hardware that's different

ah i see the one on the review site was the nexus i think.

I find it all a bit scary to move away from iphone to be honest!

I am still negotiating with the networks, I won't pay for a handset, never have yet and don't intend to start, things may change but we'll see.

I have narrowed it down to the BB 9800 Torch, HTC Desire HD, or the HTC Mozart 7 (only on Orange or O2 though :( ) otherwise it is the Samsung Omnia 7 Cetus.

Still may approach Vodaphone yet.

Not sure what the network coverage is at home, it was (10 yrs ago) rubbish!

Noz,

Thanks for the offer, but I am hoping to sort this before I am back up your way!

I will be up in about 2-3 wks, but that will be Pwllheli area.

funny you should mention it canoe being 'o2 gold' i got given one day after it came out delivered by a man in a car. unfortunately being left handed i had a massive problem suddenly im dropping calls walking around my house, then told update was a day away then two then a week then dont know, so i returned it within cooling off period and went onto a rolling contract. Apparently things are better now with the bumper it was just o2 and apples attitude at the time which ****ed me off handing me photocopied statements that the product was not faulty and the consumer goods act didnt apply.

Im willing to give it another go as they are solid phones and im unsure if a bb will be as solid???? i also love the way iphoto links up with iphone.

You mentioned voip was better on iphone also, im looking into voip at the moment.

Gosh, this thread has taken a fair bit of reading. I am going to chip in from the Blackberry camp!

Both myself and the girlfriend have BB's [8520's] they are constantly in our pockets whilst working on farms, rattling around in the car, getting fired into the footwell when heavy breaking and both have been faultless. A vet's phone is not an enviable role. With a screen protector and a silicone case I have had no bother with it. The keyboard is easy to type accurately with even with my big man's hands. I have three email accounts and they all come through separately and it is really easy to reply. My biggest issue is getting an email when out and about and forgetting to get back to people.

I never bought it as a camera, but that's ok and it syncs with itunes so can have all my itunes music on there. I use it a lot and only charge it every other night after over a year. Web browsing is fiddly but perfectly doable. Not that fast but usable. When on holiday I kept up with a few forums on it quite happily.

On Saturday the gf upgraded to the BB Torch and WOW! So intuitive to use. Can stream youtube vids as fast as my laptop. The internet is really fast and much better to use then my 8520 - the screen is nearly twice the size. The camera is amazing. You can use the touch screen to type OR slide down and use the keyboard. Best of both worlds.

When they time comes [assuming the price is right] I will upgrade to the BB Torch.

Does anyone know if the BB Torch has handwriting recognition please?

Does Android have handwriting recognition on the touch screen phones, e.g. the HTC Desire HD

Has anyone tried Win 7 mob yet? Does that have handwriting recognition?

My last 4 or 5 handsets over the last 5-6 years have been HTC's.

The last 3 have had handwriting recognition & I find it a reqlly quick way of entering data, like the old Palm graffiti writing a bit!

https://market.android.com/search?q=handwritingis this what you are looking for?

if you want to use a stylus just make sure the screen is the right type,

some are inductive(?) and some and different (?) ROTFWL

in other words and Im sure you realise what Im getting at, some screens wont work with a stylus.
Steps,,

you're on about resistive and capacitive screens.. capacitive are much more sensitive whilst you have to press a resistive screen

and you can get stylus' for both types of screen... just google it;)

Steps,,you're on about resistive and capacitive screens.. capacitive are much more sensitive whilst you have to press a resistive screen

and you can get stylus' for both types of screen... just google it;)
thems the big words I didnt know,

yep, I know you can get different sylii, but some people just like to use any old bit of plastic/stick/McDs spoon they can get their grubby little paws on and this wont work with some screens,

ie, my sat nav will work with absolutely anything including oily fingers, but my phone is a moron and wont.!

Latest posts