Need course advice

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piu3000

Reaction score
Hi, new here and need some sound advice.

I'm considering taking a course with an independent training provider who are offering offering Part P EAL; 17th edition C&G 2382 and C&G 2392 fundamental inspection and testing as a short intensive course. I am told that this is enough to become a domestic electrical installation engineer. I have no prior experience, I'm starting from scratch as I want a career change. How realistically can I hope to find employment after completing the courses, self-employed or otherwise.

Feed back appreciated, thanks.

The biggest problem you will have is no experince of it mate, even after the training is completed. These courses werent intended for people with no knowledge of electrics, more so guys that need to have paperwork and have been in the trade a number of years.

AndyGuiness Drink

Personally, I'd recommend the college route. Longer - Yes, but it will pay off. Trust Me.

And the cost is a heck of a lot cheaper too.

Hi Zeespark, thanks for response, the course provider tells me that it is ok to be complete begginer as plenty of practical along with theory. However what you are saying is confirming my fear of lack of experience. The course is expensive so I am torn as to proceed or not.

Hi Zeespark, thanks for response, the course provider tells me that it is ok to be complete begginer as plenty of practical along with theory. However what you are saying is confirming my fear of lack of experience. The course is expensive so I am torn as to proceed or not.
If you want to be an electrician then do the courses, the experiance you can gain by working alongside others.

The problem with most of these courses are that you are led to believe that on completion you are a fully qualified electrician.

I am in the process of putting right some work an inexperianced electrician has done.

His work was very neat and well installed, but not up to the job required.

This is the difference between experiance and long term training, and fast track learning.

Most domestic installs do not really require any calculations for power distribution, and mention power factor to most DI's and you will get a blank expression.

There are loads of electricians who have been laid off because of the slump in the market so a job at the end of any course is not gauranteed.

Having worked with 'electricians' who 6 months ago were in other completly unrelated trades and trained through training providers, I have always been dubious of them. They arrive with more qualifications than I have, having been in the trade for 20 years (am I really that old!!?)

As previously said, lack of experience and real world application is the biggest problem.

That said, I am leaving teaching in a college to join a training provider (but not one who rush things through) and I'm too discreet to advertise here :)

All courses have guided learning hours and the reputable providers look to train competent electricians not just rush through and teach you how to pass.

Ask the provider if you can speak to past students and get somefeedback from them.

The courses you should really look to complete if your serious about a career in electrical installation is the C&G 2330 Levels 2 & 3.

Good luck