Need more ways

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vladimir3000

Reaction score
Hi,

Consumer unit has two spare ways but i need 4. Whats the best move without a complete CU change?

Ta......

:)

split tails to a second cu

what you adding that needs 4 new circuits

3.8 kw, would it be posible to run 2 off each way?

Dunno, you tell me...........

I don't think its allowed regs wise and i'm not sure it would be good practice anyway......... am i right?

Dunno, you tell me...........I don't think its allowed regs wise and i'm not sure it would be good practice anyway......... am i right?
best wait to see what others say,

have you considered your maximum demand,

ie is there a 10.6 kw shower, rangemaster and underfloor heating alreads installed

Hi,Consumer unit has two spare ways but i need 4. Whats the best move without a complete CU change?

Ta......

:)
Bigger CU...

Or

Additional CU...

Or

Bigger CU...

Or

Additional CU...

................ :C

Thats about all options covered! :| ;)

:popcorn

have you considered your maximum demand,

ie is there a 10.6 kw shower, rangemaster and underfloor heating alreads installed
Nothing like that installed, it's commercial premises. Only lights and sockets and alarms.

Dunno, you tell me...........I don't think its allowed regs wise and i'm not sure it would be good practice anyway......... am i right?
Also wouldnt it be pushing it a bit on the MCB? 32A a bit close to the bone and 40A a bit too much leeway?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd use a separate CU, keep the spare ways for future use. Might even go for a couple of spare ways in the new CU as well.

Check again what the CURRENT INPUT RATING IS ON THE SPEC SHEET.

I think you may find the actual LOAD is far lower then what you are working to.

Just had a look at the data and sparkytim is right the 3.8 heating is the output in btu, the actual power in is a lot lower and about 4 or 5 amps.

When I used to work for an Air Conditioning Installer these small units would sometimes at the customers request be fitted to spurs off of ring mains , the supply is 9 out of 10 times taken to the condenser then a feed to inside from there.

When I used to work for an Air Conditioning Installer these small units would sometimes at the customers request be fitted to spurs off of ring mains , the supply is 9 out of 10 times taken to the condenser then a feed to inside from there.
Ah cool, thanks for the info.

Yes they are RCD protected.Need em to run 4 of these (its the smallest one of the three show in the link)

http://www.cooleasy.co.uk/product_wall.htm

The dealer recommends that easy unit is on a seperate way. Was thinking additional small CU but wondered if anyone had other options?
The dealer huh? What does the manufacturer recommend (if anything)?

Seems to me, from a purely electrical point of view that you could put all four on one 32A radial with an FCU for each machine. Thus you can use one of those spare ways and keep the cost realistic.

3.8kw x 4 = 67amps

No diversity is allowed will the supply you have be able to take the extra load?