Need more ways

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not read the whole thread but obviously henley block has been suggested

but what about a mcb feeding a new board :)

3.8kw x 4 = 67ampsNo diversity is allowed will the supply you have be able to take the extra load?
Power Rating 220 - 240v/50 Hz

Capacity Btu/h (cooling) 12000 (3.5kw)

Capacity Btu/h (heating) 13000 (3.8kw)

Power Input 1050 / 1070

Current Input 4.8 / 4.8

Main thing to note is power in which is given as 1050 cooling and 1080 heating, which is 4.8 amps so off a fused spur for each unit will be fine.

Theres some confusion here, the 3.5/3.8kw is the cooling/heat output as these are heat pump units the power input is only 1050/1070 I am asuming watts current input is only 4.8 again assuming Amps.

My only other coment is as said previously feed normally goes to outside (condensing unit) and we used to fit an IP rated isolator at this point the feed to inside is normally run with control cable from outside to inside.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes Vlad, theres no problem with doing it that way.

The usual trick when the old Wylex 6 ways were full up and you wanted to add a new circuit was to remove the two lighting circuits, put them in a 2 way C/U fed from a 20A MCB. You then had a spare way in the 6 way for whatever.

Yes Vlad, theres no problem with doing it that way. The usual trick when the old Wylex 6 ways were full up and you wanted to add a new circuit was to remove the two lighting circuits, put them in a 2 way C/U fed from a 20A MCB. You then had a spare way in the 6 way for whatever.
Is this in principal no different from a small garage/shed CU fed from a dedicated MCB in a house?

Doc H.

But if you install them on one ring or radial you have put 4 heaters on one cct

and yes they are treated as heaters.

I would put the wiring off RCD because of nuisance tripping on compressor start up.

If the A/C unit is rated at say 4A we always install 2.5 on 16A radial because if the A/C unit is turned off then back on again the comp will be under load and likely trip anything smaller

But if you install them on one ring or radial you have put 4 heaters on one cctand yes they are treated as heaters.

I would put the wiring off RCD because of nuisance tripping on compressor start up.

If the A/C unit is rated at say 4A we always install 2.5 on 16A radial because if the A/C unit is turned off then back on again the comp will be under load and likely trip anything smaller
Is nuisance tripping a likely issue? Can i assume from your name you have a fair bit of experience with these type of things then?

Is nuisance tripping a likely issue? Can i assume from your name you have a fair bit of experience with these type of things then?
Had it once or twice in the begining that is why i am now carefull and always try to overcompensate;)

When little 'Jonney' get's hold of the remote it can be a real problemheadbang

You could fit a 40A MCB and feed a 4way Bd with 4 10A MCBs in it .Or Henley blocks and split the tails to a 6 way.
OK wasnt sure it was OK to do this or not, thought it might be an option though!
just take all the glory :coat ROTFWL ;)