New build access to first floor

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin Spark

Reaction score
Ok guys, now to most of you this will probably seem a stupid question however as I have never been involved in new build or two storey extensions i just need advice on the method system of wiring the extension for the first floor with regards to access and safe working procedures.

Ground floor obviously no problems and have done a few ground floor extensions, however during construction and once the chippies have done the first fix and all joists and stud walling in on the first floor whats the normal method for access?

Do I just clamber upmy ladders with a few crawls boards spaced on the joists or should I be thinking of other methods.

thanks

Robin,

You need to be careful!

Work At Height, CDM & all that!

YOU need to think about what you need to do.

Is this a big job?

Has it been F10'd under CDM?

Most important is NOT to get hurt!!!

Normal procedure is to first fix lower floor as you describe, after which the joiners should have the floor installed but not the stairs. The access ladders are normaly provided by the scafolding company and will be safety checked on a weekly basis, alongside daily visual examinations. The ladders will be tied/secured so they are safe for use.

You are not allowed to work on the second floor under normal circumstances without a temporary or permanant floor in place. Working from planks etc is not considered safe working practice as you will have to work at height and from ladders.

If there is a F10 the person who issued this can arrange a site visit and toolbox talk.

Its not realy that big a job its an extension that is now going to be two floors

downstairs dining room, wc, and utility, upstairs 2 beds and a bathroom. Its going onto a 3 bed semi.

So thinking about it does this seem reasonable.

1. first fix pull in all cables for upstairs ring, easily done on stepladders from below, wait for flooring to go in and stud walling before fixing backboxes then just drill up through floor and pull cables up to each position.

2. Upstairs lighting and shower cable shall i just leave until upstairs floor is in and pull cables up once this is done just making sure I am in there before mr Plasterer.

Sorry about asking these basic questions just wnat to make sure i have got everything organised and planned efficiently before the job starts in the new year.

Every 2 story new build or extension that I have done has had the 1st floor flooring already fitted... the only problems that I've had have been waiting for the stud work to be done.
Thanks Nozspark, so it seems that just as long as they call me in to finish the first fix at this stage then things shouldnt be a problem with regards to working at height etc, cheers mate

like noz says the first floor is usually in with studs in place, if you have 2 go back to 1st fix the first floor surely this is not cost effective for yourself and the client. I do it in stages.

1st fix 1 day

2nd fix. 1 day

Latest posts