New supply

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M107

Billy-the-Kid
Reaction score
While I wait for SSE to get back to me, has anybody got a rough estimate as to the cost of installing a second supply to a property in the Hampshire area?

The property concerned is currently supplied by overhead TT & customer is wanting half the house as a rental property.

He thinks he'll get away with a submain from existing supply to a submeter for the rented end of property.

Me I think it'll probably workout just as cost effective to get the 2nd supply in from the pole in the garden, seen as to do what the customer wants entails a 42mtr run of 16mm swa (through the smallest of crawl spaces in the loft) a 100a 100mA s type rcd + ocpd & labour.

It's all imaterial with the submain though I think the load will be an issue for the one service fuse what with 2x ovens + halogen hobs & the 3x 9.5kw showers & a small workshop + the 3 new 2kw panel heaters.

Anyway just thought somebody might have a rough idea as to the cost of a second supply.........see you all later off home via Threshers for a couple of Guiness Drink.

M107

sse seem to be reasonable on pricing. I did a job a while back moving a meter from inside to out. I exposed cable after a lot of effort. They charged about

M107sse seem to be reasonable on pricing. I did a job a while back moving a meter from inside to out. I exposed cable after a lot of effort. They charged about

I have come across this with my brothers house (Shropshire) he has an annex which is accesible through the house (via a fire door) which he wants to let out at some time, it's only a small annex, but they don't have mains Gas and while the main house has Oil CH and a dual fuel oven (range) the annex is electric only (borrowing CH & HW from house at the moment, but will need to be seperated to let out - prob by LPG combi).

Anyway, getting to the point of this reply. If the house and annex didn't pay Council tax as seperate dwellings then the DNO would not install a second supply, this would lead on to it having it's own water rates also...

I havent got a clue about the costs but one thought crosses my mind..

42m of 16mm... could there be possible problems with Volt drop..

e.g. if say 50amp flowing down 16m

2.8x42x50/1000 = 5.88v

as lights can only drop 6.9v (3%)

it only leaves 6.9 - 5.88 = 1.02v to drop along light circuit..

if say 4A worth of lights.. on 1.5mm

VoltDrop=29x4AxLength/1000

so (1.02 x 1000)/(29x4)=8.79meters

Less than 10m of light circuit cable length with these load figures..

11.5kw down 16mm

920watt down 1.5mm

I think I would quote for 25mm IF submain option purely due to requirement to comply with section 525 of regs???

dunno what others think???? :eek: :| ?:|

One other thought about a second supply

If the wne piggy backs rm his wn suppy hn he is ib f ll te leccy use i the tenant does a runner

If he has a seperate supply he can have a token meter installed.

One other thought about a second supplyIf the wne piggy backs rm his wn suppy hn he is ib f ll te leccy use i the tenant does a runner

pardon? :|

One other thought about a second supply

If the they piggy back from his own suppy then he is liable for all the leccy use if the tenant does a runner

If he has a seperate supply he can have a token meter installed. Then there is no problem

One other thought about a second supplyIf the they piggy back from his own suppy then he is liable for all the leccy use if the tenant does a runner

If he has a seperate supply he can have a token meter installed. Then there is no problem
he could install a meter on the submain....

One other thought about a second supplyIf the wne piggy backs rm his wn suppy hn he is ib f ll te leccy use i the tenant does a runner

One other thought about a second supplyIf the they piggy back from his own suppy then he is liable for all the leccy use if the tenant does a runner

Applaud Smiley:D

You know what Baldelectrician?

I think you should complain to Admin... :)

over in that corner where you sit the window doesn't shut properly...

so after you typed your message,

a draught comes and blows all your letters around into the wrong places!!! X(

{or as Eric Morecambe once said.....

I am playing all the right notes...... but not in the right order! }

ooops theres me age showing again!Blushing:( :_|

I did say to admin a couple of months back you wanna get some proper double glazing fitted,

cuz them sash windows don't slide right the way down... :_|

But he wouldn't do anything! X(

Cheepskate... ]:)

said something about keep all of his money for his bandwidth!? :eek: :| ?:|

Thats how Slipshod caught the flu sitting down that end where you are,

just past Theory's cave & steptoes yard!!

anyway.. we all knew what you ment....

it was just Apache bit slow......

and he was probably sharpening his hoof knife backwards anyway! :p :eek:

He will get charged for two meters dont think it matters for the Council tax,as the property is one.Also check the pole has 3 phases on it or single phase.If 3 phase on pole get customer to dig cable trench then get service provider to inspect as it will cost more for abb to use trenching machine and lay cable.put 3 phase DB, in incoming area. All cost but more benificial in the long run.

Been involved in the past over farms trying to utilise overheads, single phase upgraded to 3 phase no changes to any council taxes or business taxes.

If there is a transformer on nearby pole it may have to be upgreaded.

Say you are a pikey and want to get yyour caravan powered up (LOL)

If mutiple dwelling usually different phase in each house. So if mains interference due to dodgy central heating pump, it is not next door but 3 doors away. or plank using welding machine at midnight thing cheap electric.