NICEIC assessment advice please

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KaCo

Reaction score
Hi

im new to the forum and looking for some people in the know to just basically tell me if im thinking in the right direction.

So ive decided to go out in the big bad electrical world alone, 6 years of working but im still a lil nervous about my assessment.

im about to book and send off the jobs to be assessed, my 'big' job is a fuse board change at my mothers, yes ive done a lot of these but what will the assessor be looking for my fuse ratings are ok, my reading aren't the best but all compliant and im advising to be inspected in 5 years as some IR's are getting below 100meg... does this seem like im on the right track?

what else could be an issue with these kind of inspections, just wanting to make sure im ready for anything they may have to throw at me.

As for smaller job i was thinking an additional socket in a friends hall ive done recently?

all help much appreciated!

KaCo

Welcome to the forum. The assessor will be looking to see that you have a good knowledge or the wiring resg and the reasons why we do things in a certain way. Providing you have not connected anything that is unsafe or non-compliant and can justify any deviations, then you should have no problems. No electrical installation is perfect in every way.

Doc H.

ok brilliant...when i spoke on the phone to NIC the advisor said they will not ask for proof of notification to LABC as they are interested in my work and test results only, is this true, she even said you can get the cert sorted with the registered number after passing assessment, is this true?

how high is the chance of them asking about LABC??

i dont want the wasted trip as much as id rather my mother didnt have to pay the additional fees, a re-asssessment would be more costly!!

kaco

Andy thanks for this i will be calling a few more times, im playing the rules and seems such a rip to pay for it this time when it is being assessed, when i will be honest to customers and tell them i cant do notifiable works until registration is processed!!!

have you had your assessment andy?

thanks again KaCo

hmmm theres always something it seems...will be glad when i can say im certified and can stop worrying about it all and do the real work (for a year lol)

bad day explode

Well...

So far I have had 6 NIC assesments......

and the total number of times I have been asked about Part-P notification is....... "0" "Zero" "Zilch" "None"

The total number of times I have had to discuss and perform..

Safe Isolation, PFC, PSCC, R1+R2, RCD trip times.. etc.. IS "6" "Six" "Every Visit"

And the total number of sites that have had earthing and bonding checked is.. "12" "Twelve" "two on Every Visit"!!!

And the total number of times I have had to show my Meter testing & accuracy procedures...

Copies of current Regs, Electricity @ Work document.. etc..

IS... "6" "Six" "Every Visit"

Think You get the gist what bits need to ensure Ok with...

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:22 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:21 ----------

Oh...

sorry...

Welcome to the forumbulator!

;) :x

o,

and the one thing they will be on your case about is this fuse board,

I cant remember the last time I fitted a fuseboard!

YES,

it does matter.........

Would have to agree; even though "our" assesment proceedure is a little more rigorous than a DI assessment (I do know; I`ve had both!!!)

As far as a DI assessment goes; you will ALWAYS be quizzed on safety issues, not only the how, but, for some subjects, the "why" as well.

The biggest thing to remember is that you do NOT have to "know everything" from memory - but you DO need to know where to look to find out :)

The assessor isn`t an ogre (generally), he / she is a spark, who`s done it, been it & seen it before, bought the teeshirt then given it away `cos it doesn`t fit anymore.

If you know what you`re doing, and why.....I wouldn`t expect serious problems (after all, as we`ve said many times now - all the scams want your money - if scam "A" failed you, scam "B" would pocket your money and pass you :C wrong, but the way it is.....)

Good luck - and remember that being registered ("scammed"?) is only half the battle - getting the work can be even harder, in the current market:(

S`funny. We see so many people on the forum, "starting up" - but we hardly see any "stopping down" -

(watch this space)

Good luck KaCo

KME

Just to add to KME's point about not needing to know everything....

All my assessors.. (haven't always had the same guy)...

have always liked to see a well thumbed Regs book!

there is NO problem having post-it note page markers...

or notes written inside the cover...

It is NOT a C&G exam..

they DO want to see that you know how to use your Regs & OSG to reference information..

e.g. they may ask you..

Whats the max acceptable time for this RCD on a x5 test

and where could I check that info?

And theres no problem using the INDEX!!!

Its not a memory test..

Guinness

thanks guys all comments have been very much appreciated, think i get the jist now, thanks again!!

KaCo

I would like to pose a question to all the NICEIC forum members. All of you who are members of NICEIC will know the costs of being a member and the costs of remaining a member and particularly when it comes to assessment time.. Why then do NICEIC not promote themselves to the general public? You rarley see it advertised and if you ask the general public whet it means to them to employ a NICEIC registered spark to carry out an installation they do not know what benefits using a membership sparky gives. Where are the benefit advertisements NICEIC? You take enough money in!!! The GPublic should be made aware. Corgi did it with gas.

Latest posts