Outside pir light - Other lights connected

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dambo

Reaction score
Just after a bit of advice: Is it possible to link a non-pir light into a pir light so that when the pir light is triggered the second light (non-pir light) will come on too?! :eek:

PIR Light.jpg

Some have a switched Line terminal and some don't,, you can only tell by looking
This is an example of the light. Will the interlinked live go in with the white wires and the neutral just go in with the neutral?

Is this another joke?

Even my brother in law can figure this out...

and he's a Banker!

Honest he is!

....Well actually works doing some sort of financial advice for a banking organisation!!!!

same thing...

and he hasn't had to have any DI assessments!

headbang

---------- Post Auto-Merged 16th April 2011 at 00:23 ---------- Previous post was made 15th April 2011 at 23:56 ----------

heres a few clues...

1/ The earth wires are not switched...

(they are common throughout!)

2/ The neutral wires are not switched...

(they are common throughout!)

3/ There is a Live coming in to power the sensor....

(don't join your light onto this.. or it will stay on all the time)

4/ There is a live coming from the sensor that only goes live when it detects movement....

(this is the tricky bit that foxes DIY'ers.. you need to join you light to this bit so it only comes on when someone walks in front of the sensor!)

I have heard rumors you get tested on this at your 4th assesment...

then on your fifth they do Two-Way Switching!!!!!

:C :Chair fall

I have heard rumors you get tested on this at your 4th assesment...

then on your fifth they do Two-Way Switching!!!!!

OMG

Im in trouble !!!!

the pir should have a switching rating on it - as long as you dont overload it, you can have as many lights as you wish

Damien: How do you think the "stand-alone" PIR`s work?......You connect up the lights you want, up to the allotted loading of the relay. Or fire a bigger relay to do something else :)

The answer is: Yes. If you need to ask how its done, I need to ask how you passed a DI assessment; as it really is that simple.

KME

n.b. perhaps this really belongs in the "student & learning" area?

I have heard rumors you get tested on this at your 4th assesment...then on your fifth they do Two-Way Switching!!!!!

OMG

Im in trouble !!!!
Nahhhh...

you got time to crib up admins Two-Way switching drawings in the downloads section....

I reckon you can get it sussed enough to flannel though a pass.!?

;) :innocent

Steve you can switch 100,000,000,000,000,000TW with a normal domestic PIR if you design the circuit correctly! ;)
Sidewinder, I get your point mate, but I did think the OP was asking about one or two extra lights - how silly of me to assume.

Steve: I think snakehips was making a point about cct. design in general, rather than specifically tailored to the OP`s "question".

I assume you assumed correctly, as I also assumed the same thing....

But, I ALSO assumed that, being a registered "domestic installer" meant you had a better understanding of things electrical than the average man-in-the-street - obviously I was wrong to assume also; so we`re in t`same boat there.

KME