Overheating Storage Heater,,, So I'm Told!?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NozSpark

Seaman stains™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a customer who says that one of their storage heaters is getting extreemly hot to touch by 2am (all the rest don't get this hot at this time), the timeclock works fine!

It is quite an old heater - a dimplex CXL24 - a combi heater (she doesn't use the boost heater)

So what's wrong with it?

stat shot.

elements shot,

the boost is coming on with the E7 part ? [thats just a wild one]

at a guess Id say the heater is still hot at night and is getting another firing from the E7 and the stat is FUBAR'd

As Steps says. Dead easy to test and Dimplex stats are easy to get and cheap. But before buying a replacement look at the one that's in there. There are at least 3 different types fitted to seemingly identical looking heaters.

If the stat contacts have welded together it will overheat and the cut-out will activate, it sounds as step said above the stat is not functioning as it should so its only a matter of time before the cut-out kicks in.

Dimplex used to do an upgrade stat kit to replace older stats but they they longer sell the kit, so if its a really old heater it may be a problem.

IIRC I tested the elements a while ago and they tested out ok.

Yes, the storage heater gets extremely hot after just 2 hours charge which to me is very strange.

Now I don't know what she's doing, but I guess that she's turning off the heater before it's had a full charge.... The safety stat is definitely not kicking in!

Check that the boost control, which opens a flap to let the heat out in the evening, hasn't got stuck and the flap is permenantly open.

they are pretty simple things really, all should be obvious when you open it up to have a look.

has the boost been wired in with the e7 to come on together?

or the padding/insulation missing from the cover panel or maybe the last panel to be screwed in place on top of the bricks is missing. Take the cover off and take a look.

Last edited by a moderator: