Part P still not understood well

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianmacd

Reaction score
We went to the Brighton Centre today for some Home and Garden event and Tommy Walsh was there hosting Q&A sessions. The last question of the session I saw was about Part P and was asked by a person that had some self build experience. Tommy's answer was that as he clearly was a competent person then he could do the work and just get a sparks to sign it off.

I guess its still not well understood by building professionals so then what hope is there for the rest of the public?

I have dropped his agent an email explaining that his advise was not quite correct.

I doubt if it's just Tommy Walsh who claims to be competent with electrics..There are lots of builders who claim to be competent and will still do notifiable work regardless of what the buildings regs state.. I won't be signing any of them off thats for sure..

True Megohm , couple of builders who use my wholesalers do mostly house renovations , complete with electrics . I'm sure there are plenty more . My views on Part bloody P are well documented , on a par with changing the cable colours !!!

well,

I suppose you could completely almost re-wire a house, leave out the kitchen and bathroom, dont fit a CU and nothing is notifyable,

then just spur the kitchen and all is ok,

who knows when the split load CU got fitted etc.......

Not sure if I explained that badly or not but Tommy suggested the other bloke would be competent not himself. They possibly both are but thats besides the point.

on a couple of his tv shows, he always mentions that to get a spark in to do the electrical work, and he comments on when sparks come in and do the work for him.... if he gets sparks in to do the work, why did he mention in an eariler thread that he is compentant.

Theres a difference between competence and being registered with an approved Part P self certification scheme.

Saw a Tommy program - my massive workshop or something like that, he wired a socket on camera no earth sleeving in sight, great example to the DIY-ing public.

Tommy does seem to have a bit of a bad reputation, for Me it would be Alan Herd all day every day, if I had to pick a television presenting builder.Andy
I agree with Alan Herd being a good tv presenter. He seems to know his stuff and his carpentry skills are second to none. Tommy Walsh does know his stuff where bricks and motar are concerned as his speciality is renovation and drinking cups of tea!!!

Don't forget that being a kitchen fitter makes you more than a bit competent!!!!headbangROTFWLheadbang

Latest posts