Plumbers central heating wiring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Todays job. "sort out" the wiring for the central heating.

It's an electric boiler (on E10 tariff) originally wired (I think) by plumber No1

Then later plumber No 2? added a wood burning stove with back boiler.

Original (plumber No1) wiring looked reasonable. Until you looked in detail. T&E connecting room thermostat with CPC as switched live (give him a little credit, he sleeved it red)

Plumber No 2's wiring was a joke. all wired in flex, just plugged into a 13A socket. But the pipe thermostat that was supposed to turn on the pump to circulate the heat from the stove, was wired in PARALLEL with the supply and the pump.

The main complaint from the customer was the stove pump does not come on automatically, and when he turns on the 13A socket feeding it, sometimes it trips the MCB in the CU. Wet Fish

I was there 6 hours rewiring the lot. This was supposed to be a quick job.

It's a good job your semi retired then! Otherwise you could of put in a full day!
Now please please don't take this the wrong way.

But it's could HAVE put in a full day, not could OF

Is it me, or is this the way English is taught now?

I know if you talk a bit sloppy, have and of can sound similar.

Half a day to wire the central heating system????

Did you know you can now re-wire a whole house in trunking to an excellent standard in one day Dave!!!

My day I fitted 4 downlights and an extractor fan and sorted out all the floor boards the customer was mining about (before me) as some clown had cut them in the middle of the metal joists which are over 800mm wide and just left them.

So I'm officially slower than you Dave ha ha

;)

Half a day to wire the central heating system????Did you know you can now re-wire a whole house in trunking to an excellent standard in one day Dave!!!

My day I fitted 4 downlights and an extractor fan and sorted out all the floor boards the customer was mining about (before me) as some clown had cut them in the middle of the metal joists which are over 800mm wide and just left them.

So I'm officially slower than you Dave ha ha

;)
I think you mean moaning about, speak English , or the Scots person will be looking for you :)

Yep I have read somewhere that you have to use an un-switched socket and it must be 1.0mm flex and in some cases heat resistant if entering near pipes or boiler.

grants say you can use a unswitched socket if you want. I personally dont see a problem with a labelled switched socket if fused spur not viable for some reason.

You had to see the install to appreciate what I was criticising.

There was an existing heating control, wired in t&e and fed from an FCU.

So why when plumber #2 added extra bits did he not integrate it into the existing controls? instead, he wired it all in flex and fed it from a 13A plug, rather than properly adding it to the existing fixed wiring.

Latest posts