rcbo's

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ally

Reaction score
Hey there, i heard that after june everything has to be RCBO protected is this true????

Hello ally and welcome :)

Is there a specific circuit you are asking about or just in general?

Tell us a bit about yourself

:D

hi there, ive just qualified as an electrician about 2 months ago. Im 22 and from Scotland.

It was a guy at work that said to me about them doing away with mcb's and just making everything rcbo, but i hadnt heard anything so just wondered if anyone else had.

It wasnt a specific circuit. I work for fife council and all we are fitting now is RCBO's.

My understanding is (and I'm a vet not a spark)

All circuits <50mm in a wall

All circuits in special location

need RCD protection

Insatallation designed to prevent nusance tripping - often upstairs and downstairs lights on RCBO's. other circuits on an RCD

AFAIK

It wasnt a specific circuit. I work for fife council and all we are fitting now is RCBO's.
some councils have opted for RCBO for everything (some even argue over which should be installed). in reality, thats more expensive, so most go with a cheaper option of dual split instead. all down to cost over inconvenience if something trips.

Fife council don't fit MCBs, only RCBO's - my god, it would be cheaper to fit a "Garage" consumer unit for each circuit!Riggy
i know a few companies working for council housing that do that... probably so they can make more profit from it

Quite a few councils will use rcbo in preference to split boards due to the limited circuits.

Normally four circuits, upstairs, downstairs, sockets and lighting.

In an installation with more than 6 circuits then I would say a split board will always be the cheaper option.

Quite a few councils will use rcbo in preference to split boards due to the limited circuits.Normally four circuits, upstairs, downstairs, sockets and lighting.

In an installation with more than 6 circuits then I would say a split board will always be the cheaper option.
how many councils you worked for?! used to fill a 10 way board, or close to it

they even had one stage where they wanted a 16a radial for washer, same for fridge... and a ring for kitchen

how many councils you worked for?! used to fill a 10 way board, or close to itthey even had one stage where they wanted a 16a radial for washer, same for fridge... and a ring for kitchen
Most councils don't know their RCBO from their elbow:|

the reason fife council uses rcbo's is if a bulb blows only the lighting circuit trips rather than everything protected on an rcd split board and im sure with the numbers of boards they are buying they can negotiate the price right down with the supplier :)

I have worked for a few on refurbishment schemes, some councils still insist on wylex and have installed dual RCD boards, others where the circuits are less than 8 have opted for rcbo,s.

At the moment the people I am working for insist on split rcd boards, and remedial works to be carried out to put lighting circuits onto two circuits even in bungalows.

So I guess every council have their own preferences.