Rccb Keep Tripping

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you very much for time and detail that you have put in to your response. I initially missed the IR test between L-E and N-E and went back today and did that. I found no reading between L-E?

The second query I have is that I went to look at a metal single light switch which is occasionally giving a electric shock, I couldn't find any problems: the earth was proper/all connections were correct, the only thing was that when I put the voltage indicator on the outer metal plate it buzzed and showed earth leakage. Please advise.   

Thank you 

He is the new RB

FFS I know it is rocket science BUT how fecking difficult is it?

Suspected earth leakage fault so by definition it is a leakage to earth, so surely it should be a statement of the bleeding obvious that 'stuff' needs testing to earth!

Nice insertion of the old sparks expression "clear"..... Only used in resuss on ER and Holby now!

Still the new and well thought out Part P will sort all that out.......

today i disconnected cooker and run IR test, found no reading in L-E. does it make sense? 

yes this is the same job.

I'm using megger 1551 tester and L-N and N-E have readinf 299 M ohms. but L-N very low reading.

Thank you very much for time and detail that you have put in to your response. I initially missed the IR test between L-E and N-E and went back today and did that. I found no reading between L-E?

The second query I have is that I went to look at a metal single light switch which is occasionally giving a electric shock, I couldn't find any problems: the earth was proper/all connections were correct, the only thing was that when I put the voltage indicator on the outer metal plate it buzzed and showed earth leakage. Please advise.   

Thank you
What sort of voltage indicator are we talking about that shows earth leakage?

Or is it a non contact voltstick that just buzzes to show voltage present as this would work on the front plate of most switches that i know to?

I'm using megger 1551 tester and L-N and N-E have readinf 299 M ohms. but L-N very low reading.
You are saying L-N and N-E is reading  299 Megohms so this is clear but then say L-N very low reading which to me is a near short. You are not making sense are you competent to be doing the tests?

normal voltage indicator. But I checked other front plate that doesn't buzz, why is that?

cooker is not connected. test meter didn't showed any reading L-E.

normal voltage indicator. But I checked other front plate that doesn't buzz, why is that?

So are you using a two pole voltage tester or a non contact voltstick?

cooker is not connected. test meter didn't showed any reading L-E.
Definitive answer required or check tomorrow what your L-E reading is then come back and let us know.

If Deke heard there was a Buzz coming form the light switch..

he'd be expecting to see one of these....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus

:coat

(is the buzzing switch a DIMMER by any chance????)

Is this for a customer or your own house??????

If a customer..

then please organise a competent person to attend!

:pray

Right.

I wasn`t going to post in here - but I`m afraid the "urge" has overcome my reticence ;)

Lets start with the easy one - the light switch.

Do I assume you believe that using a voltage indicator is an acceptable way to fault find a metal light switch that may have an earth fault? WRONG!

Try using your megger, and doing an R2 test instead - you may find it more helpful.

I notice you said above that, on a particular test, your meter gave "no reading"? That is an indication that you`ve forgotten to switch it on!

You also seem to imply that, if you can`t find the fault for an RCD tripping, its acceptable, in your opinion, to remove it? This attitude scares me, to be honest. It trips for a reason. Your job is to find the reason for the trip, and resolve it. Not to remove a safety device, because you`ve failed to find the fault.

"Forgetting" to do IR tests to earth, failing to do ( or mention) any R1+R2 / R2 tests, telling us results are "clear" - ????? These are not the actions of a competent person, to be honest.

Oh, by the way - you tested something at 0.5 DC????? What the heck is that? 0.5 what?

If you are charging customers for doing works at their premises, I`d suggest you`re committing fraud, by posing as a qualified tradesperson.

If, on the other hand, you`re a DIYer with access to test equipment and a bit of knowledge - then you`re out of your depth, and need to call in a professional.

Don`t forget - its all just my opinion. 

Unfortunately KME there are alot of people who just dont seem to care, case and point two "handymen" one wired an immersion element without a stat and filled the place with steam another removed the earth on a hand wash because it was tripping the rcd, failed to notice part of the control had melted and was arcing out.

More "maintenance" work i do the more i bang my head against the wall....