Running A 24V Battery Drill Off Mains...?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stoneman

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a drill graveyard in my store including 2 off 24V makita's (brh24?).

I'm looking for a mains in; 24VDC out PSU to hard-wire into the machine (or even chop into a old battery) to bring them to life as corded tools. They are quality machines and good for labourers to use for chopping out.

Has anyone done this before, do you think it's possible?

Cheers,

Darren.

the hassle of the power supply and using a 24V drill, would a cheap £80 Makita mains powered with chiseling action not be better.

The cheap batteries aren't much cop - I've had a few... I don't want to buy more machines spending more money.

The whole idea is to make use of what I've got. I'll let you know if I find anything...

I bought a replacement 3.0Ah "BL1830" clone for my cordless Makita stuff a while back for about £25 and it's been absolutely fantastic. Was only really just to try. Really can't fault it. Off eBay but sadly the seller doesn't do them anymore. Wish I'd bought half a dozen tbh.

Recently got a lad at work a couple of 14.4V "red", Ni-Cad Makita batteries on sale at just over £7 each again on the Bay - different seller. They were on offer at 50% off so  thought we'd give it a try. He's over the moon with them. 

Then again bought a 12V Ryobi clone battery from yet another seller and it's carp.

Re-packed a DeWalt 18V battery with cells from Hong Kong and it's really not that great tbh. Did it years ago with cells from RS on a Bosch and that was spot on.

A waste of time really on the whole. Need to put the old drills back in the tool graveyard and just stick with the Makita gear.

Your existing Makitas would be better being stuck on eBay to fund some cheap corded drills, I sold my 2 BHR200 drills for a decent enough price, even with knackered batteries.

A decent suitable power supply would probably cost about the same as a cheap 3 function SDS, and would be more likely to be damaged on site trying to drag it around all the time. I have purchased a few cheap SDS drills for chiselling things and then sent them back under warranty when they inevitably burn out. Just make sure you don't buy it from somewhere that will tell you it is a DIY tool so no refunds!

Agreed Lurch. A heavy enough psu would be around the £60 Mark... Just seems a shame to have them sitting there.

I keep saying I'll have a clear out and get all my old (sh*t) used tools on flea bay - I'm sure I'd make a few quid as people will by ANYTHING!

Cheers.