Sbs Trade Sales

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Dave, I have a little rush jobbie on, what is the availability of one of those split level boards? I could do with one asap!

I have 9x20 amp, 6x16 amp and 2x10 amp at the moment, but would like the spare ways for future expansion.

I could get the office to pay you as usual.

Hi Manator,

Sorry I didn't see your post until now. I don't always look at the Forum on a daily basis, so it is better to contact me via e-mail.

I have 4 x ENC-24s in stock and all the Compact sizes you need. I could build it Monday or Tuesday for delivery Thursday at the latest.

Let me know if you want me to go ahead and also if the Thursday delivery is OK.

Regards

David

Thanks Dave, I received and replied to your e-mail. Thanks again for the prompt service. Outstanding.

As promised here are a few pictures of the recent install using two of Dave's boards.

South Lakeland-20140225-00341.jpg

South Lakeland-20140226-00342.jpg

South Lakeland-20140226-00343.jpg

South Lakeland-20140405-00360.jpg

All that was left was to tidy up and label.

The supply is TT and I used 3 rods to get a final Ra of 59 Ohms I used 2 inspection pits and put two in one and a single in the other.

Sorry about the quality of pictures, looks like my phone could do with cleaning :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I put two in one pit, the ground was particularly hard so I decided to do another pit some 3m away. After installing one rod here I tested again before adding another.

The tests were OK so I just left one rod at this final point. We always go back to the job after 6 months so I will do a quick test again and see what if any differences there are.

The only benefit I coheld envisage with 2 rods side by side is doubling up of surface area,,, 

There is the argument of twice the depth apart for greatest effect, which it would appear if holding to Manator only used 4' rods, 

A longer horizontal rod May have been an option at 18"/2' perhaps,? 

Steps,

It's not just an argument for the twice the depth apart, it is to do with the fundamental science of the way the rod works, they have a "sphere" of influence on the ground around them, if this sphere of influence overlaps then the efficiency of the rod is reduced.

This is all explained in BS7430. ;)

Steps,

It's not just an argument for the twice the depth apart, it is to do with the fundamental science of the way the rod works, they have a "sphere" of influence on the ground around them, if this sphere of influence overlaps then the efficiency of the rod is reduced.

Steps,

Never mind bs7430, isn't that basic science?

yes,

my wording argument maybe wasnt correct,

isnt all science an argument?

I did intend it to promote discussion as if would there really be any benefit to putting rods closer?

even the 2 rods beside each other? would that actually benefit? would the 2X surface area be an advantage?

No comment on the Earth rod thread, but a really good install by Manator. Thanks for that.

Attached is my new Price List for Summer 2014, again with virtually no change.

With the increased interest in my ENC-24S double-decker DB, I have added it back onto the List.

I have added the BML-3 Main Switch to MCB busbar link, now that I have improved the design.

I have also added the new one-piece Linked Busbar Kits for the ENC-24S DBs and for the stacking of 2 standard DBs.

Meter tails have been dropped, as I have had no interest in them, but I still have minor stocks, if anyone is interested. 

PRICE LIST Summer 2014.jpg

Working on the basis of "If you can't beat them, join them" and referring to a recent post by me, this is my alternative solution to bulky 17th Edition Split Boards.

The idea is to use 2 x 50A RCBOs for shock protection (with overcurrent protection as a bonus), to provide a 6-way Split board at 250mm wide.

This would fit in the gap vacated by an old Wylex box and @ £42.00 + VAT, it may be a neat solution to some of your board change jobs.

ENC-10T - Dual Split Board #1.JPG

ENC-10T - Dual Split Board #2.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
A question has been raised about why the 2 RCBOs are together, rather than 1 RCBO + 3 MCBs then 1 RCBO + 3 MCBs.

Clearly, this is not a problem that would worry the customer, as the labelling is very specific and would have been explained by the Installer. It also allows one RCD test label to cover both RCBOs.

From a technical point of view, if the second RCBO was in between the 6 MCBs, then the main busbar would have to pass in front of the first 3 MCBs, creating a potential creepage distance problem.

I am sure you all realise that the busbar is in fact in 3 pieces, but sharing one continuous insulator.

I am not advocating the use of 17th Edition Split Boards, but for those who swear by them, they must also occasionally swear at them, because the standard deal from the Wholesaler ends up with a CU over 400mm wide. If you have a small house needing a 6-way upgrade  replacing an existing Wylex 3036 box and the job won't stand the price of my 6-way Standard RCBO board @ £70.30 + VAT ( which is just 214mm wide), then my Split Board might be an alternative solution.

Incidentally, if you are paying around £50.00 for your oversize split board, the potential saving in installation time fitting the smaller board, would probably more than cover the extra £20.00 in cost. JUST A THOUGHT!!!

SBS Dave

I AM ON HOLIDAY FROM 29 MAY to 6 JUNE inclusive.

I am expecting a shipment from China in the next few days, to replenish my stock, which is currently low on 16A and 20A Compacts.

A new customer has landed a big contract to upgrade a caravan park and is using 20A (or 16A) as standard and has gobbled up my stock.

The latest date to process orders before then is Wednesday 28 May 2014.

On my return, I shall ask a Forum Member to try one of the Split Boards above and post your comments.

The board, of course, will be supplied FOC.

SBS Dave

Dave,

I am going to try to put an order together by the time you get back from hols!

Hopefully three boards, one for the below and two for other jobs.

Just taken an enquiry to replace the attached for a friend, I now remember why I try to avoid domestic like the plague!

In the under stairs cupboard.

Lying on an oily concrete floor for three hours non-stop in front of the open and running electrical panel of a CNC lathe (this morning) seems more appealing than changing this lot out, plus the bonding upgrade etc. with the cream carpets etc. etc. etc.

Mind, I am thinking about just fitting the sockets and doing the other changes and ignoring the regs like many do! ]:)

Thing is I can make more money doing other things, than domestic...

I don't want her being ripped off and when asked where the fuse box was, her answer was, I have no idea!

She lost her husband a year ago, was a school friend of mine, same school year...

Cancer.

If a fuse wire went, she would have no idea what to do, so thinking that RCBO's would be best for her.

2014-05-22 17.35.49.jpg

Dave I probably will need a few before you go away. Been doing a job in Oxford complete house and extension on my own so have been quiet on smaller jobs will need a fair few for that. I have a few CU changes but like Slidey put them off as long as I can.