Sbs Trade Sales

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ENC-18LM - RCBs #1.JPGENC-18LM - RCBs #2.JPGENC-18LM - RCBs #3.JPG

IS THIS MIX AND MATCH??   -   IT CERTAINLY IS!!

DOES IT COMPLY WITH BSEN61439-3??  -  IT CERTAINLY DOES!!

In fact, paraphrasing 10.10.3.5 of the Standard, under "Device Substitution", it says you can mix devices provided what you have mixed, matches, in key areas. When BEAMA coined the Mix & Match phrase back in the BSEN60439-3 days, they had not anticipated that BSEN61439-3 would consider sensible Mix & Match as acceptable.

The above CU is one ordered by a Forum Member, which will be picked up tomorrow, for delivery Monday. Having discussed this with him, he is more than happy with the configuration.

However, when I have used all my TDline stock, every CU with Standard RCBOs will feature LiVE Electrical components, which will be in full compliance with BSEN61439-3.

I am considering obtaining BSEN61439-3 for an enclosure containing Compact RCBOs, which means all my CUs would be in full compliance with the Standard.

If anyone has not bought my Compacts because of BSEN61439-3 / AMD3 concerns, please let me know. If nobody has a problem with my current arrangement, then I may not be able to justify the Certification, which will cost me" an arm & a leg."

SBS Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_2201.JPGIMG_2202.JPGIMG_2204.JPGIMG_2205.JPGIMG_2206.JPG

Another box, custom-built for a customer.

He wanted a L/H Main Switch and my 3-gland tails arrangement.

Also wanted an MCB to feed the garage via an SWA.

All he had to do was take it out of the box and mount it on the wall.

SBS Dave

WISHING YOU A BELATED CHRISTMAS AND AN EARLY NEW YEAR!!

Only a few days to D-Day, or should I say AM-D-Day, when all Domestic jobs will, realistically, require non-combustible CUs.

Attached, therefore is my new 2016 Price List, with virtually NO PRICE INCREASES on the my main products and only minimal changes to my pricing structure.

I have all sizes of metal boxes in stock and all sizes of Standard and Compact RCBOs also in stock. I have also introduced a few extra low cost services, to make your on-site work simpler.

With regard to BSEN61439-3 for Compact applications, nobody has voiced any concerns over my current arrangements, so I shall leave the situation as it has always been.

PRICE LIST - Spring 2016.jpgPRICE LIST NOTES - 2016.jpg

Thanks for all your business and support in 2015.

SBS Dave

NEW YEAR, NEW PRODUCT OPTIONS
INCLUDING
 ​
17th EDITION CONSUMER UNITS!
17th EDITION CUs - LiVE Electrical.jpg
 ​
This means a new Price List and Price List Notes.
5 PRICE LIST SPRING 2016.jpg
 ​
5 PRICE LIST SPRING 2016 - Notes.jpg
 ​
I have a few 17th Edition enclosures in stock, which I make up to your spec. as I do with other DBs.
 ​
I put the one in the above leaflet together and I have to say, doing it on site would take a long time, so if I put it together for you (AT NO EXTRA CHARGE), that has to be a distinct advantage over buying a populated kit CU from the Wholesaler.

Also, my stand-off frame is proving very popular, for the same reason. I have set up a rig to cut the mitre joints and the resultant frame looks very professional. AND FOR ONLY 5 QUID!!

I shall post a few photos of recently sold DBs in the next few days.

SBS Dave

​
 ​

DISTRIBUTION BOARD COMPARISON

The photos below show 3 options for a 10 usable circuit DB, which I designate

GOOD -  17th Edition Split Board with one unprotected MCB 

BETTER - All-Standard RCBOs with one unprotected MCB

BEST  -  All-Compact RCBOs with one unprotected MCB

The Compact DB shows an easy way to connect the MCB neutral, rather than connect it to the Neutral Bar

The final photos shows the biggest single DIN rail Compact Board I've done so far.

SBS Dave

Distribution Board Comparison.jpg

Distribution Board 17th Edition.jpg

DB with Standard RCBOs.jpg

DB with Compact RCBOs + wire.jpg

22-module Compact Board #2.JPG

5 PRICE LIST SPRING 2016.jpg

Just testing to see if I can download the Price List in a full size Format and it seems to have worked.

By the way, the prices of the 3 DBs above are

17th Edition  -  £60.8 + VAT

Standard RCBOs  -  £101.88 + VAT

Compact RCBOs  -  £143.46 + VAT

And the big Compact Board was £292.68 + VAT.

SBS Dave

GOOD NEWS FOR MY REGULAR (AND NOT SO REGULAR) CUSTOMERS.

I HAVE ALL SIZES OF COMPACT RCBOs, Standard RCBOs and Metal Boxes    IN STOCK

A lot of Chinese workers, who live in the sticks, but commute to the big Industrial Cities, can’t afford ever-rising City costs, when their wages are still at rock bottom. The result this year was that they didn’t show up after the Chinese New Year holiday, choosing to work nearer home or back in the fields. Who would have believed that many Chinese Companies couldn’t get sufficient workers??!!  Hopefully, they have now learned their lesson.

TORQUE SCREWDRIVER  -  PRIZE DRAW.

One of my Torque Screwdrivers, which I sent out for a review, is now being returned to me. Since it is technically not in my stock, I have decided to offer it in a free PRIZE DRAW for my customers, Forum members and non-Forum members alike.

All you need to do, is let me know  if you are interested in participating. If so, phone or text or e-mail me, or PM me on the TEF Forum, quoting just your SBS Account No. This takes the form of  “ ABC01” and it appears on the Invoices I have sent you. All these Acc. Nos will go into a hat and

IT WILL BE DRAWN AT THE END OF APRIL

Phone 0161 440 9042, mobile/text  0777 447 9287, e-mail  [email protected], and SBS Trade Sales or PM on the Forum.

SBS Dave

PRICE LIST UPDATE – Prices SPRING 2016

Attached is our revised Price List and Notes, with following changes:-

I have cut back on the variety of 17th Edition Boards I offer and to be honest, I don’t stock them. Many of my customers, like myself, don’t rate 17th Edition boards anyway.

I have dropped the price of the Wylex REC2 Isolator Switch, while stocks last, after which I will not stock them.

I have changed the way I price Compact busbars, to reflect the labour content of constructing smaller sizes. SEE NOTES attached.( A 12-module busbar would now be 12 x 15p +£3.00 = £4.80 + VAT)

I am reminding customers that for all shipments, the Carrier’s Terms & Conditions apply. If the Carrier does not receive a signature on delivery, then claims for loss or damage will be declined.  SEE NOTES.

The potential damage problem has now increased, due to the considerable weight increase in DBs, because of the metal enclosures, which, if dropped, bend rather than bounce back like plastic ones.

I still sell the FELO Torque Screwdriver range, which was reviewed by an independent engineer/electrician and found to be reliable and accurate with regard to calibration.

BESPOKE DISTRIBUTION BOX DESIGN SERVICE TO YOUR SPECIFICATION @  NO EXTRA COST.

Every DB I supply is populated to your specific requirements and arrives full assembled to fit on the wall, ready for wiring. Generally speaking, you tell me what you need (within my product range) and I will build it.

This has lead to many special arrangements, quite often solving problems that would occur with “off the shelf” Consumer Units. As an example, following several discussions with a customer regarding an awkward upgrade, we came up with an ON PEAK/OFF PEAK split board as shown in the attached photo. This was just a concept mockup, complete with special labelling and the completed Distribution Board is now on its way to my customer. He also opted for my SOF-16 Stand Off Frame, which, at £5.00 + VAT, solved his existing surface wiring problems into the metal box.

TORQUE SETTING RECOMMENDATION FOR MY COMPACT RCBOs.

The manufacturers specification sheet showed a torque value of 3Nm, which I queried some time ago. After submitting various technical articles on the subject to them, they have finally conceded they were wrong.

They have now come up with a minimum figure of  1.6Nm, possibly rising to 2.0Nm for 10mm conductors. I am therefore recommending a setting of 1.7Nm, which is within spec. and is the setting recommended by  a few UK manufacturers for MCB devices, with M4 terminal screws.   SO, WORK ON  1.7 NM AS A BENCHMARK.

TORQUE SCREWDRIVER PRIZE DRAW

Quite a few of people who read my e-mails or my Forum posts, don’t believe in Torque Screwdrivers, relying on their experience, when tightening terminals. That is the risk assessment decision they make and I am not about to criticise anyone for that.  But clearly, they would not want to be included in my Prize Draw for a Torque Screwdriver Handle and 2 x blades of their own choice, so I am offering the draw only to my customers, existing or new. However, since some of them may not believe in these devices either, I have asked for customers to notify me, one way or another, to say if they are interested, so I can stick their Acc. Nos into the hat.  The draw will take place Saturday 30th April 2016 ( probably by one of my 8 grandkids ). If you want in, please let me know before the 30th. I already have approx. 30 names in the hat.

SBS Dave

TORQUE SCREWDRIVER PRIZE DRAW.

It has been brought to my attention that my most loyal customers may not always look at my e-mails or the Forum, especially if the e-mail arrives as  “junk” and I don’t want them to miss out.

So, I have added my top 20 customers to the list for the draw, without being prompted. Others still have time to be added if you contact me.

Of course, this increases the number in the hat to around 60, lowering the individual odds, so I have decided to add secondary prizes.  Having sold 9 of my Wylex REC2S Isolators, I now have just 3 left, so the 2nd, 3rd and 4th names out of the hat will receive an REC2S. The names of the customers who bought the 9 x REC2Ss are in the hat.

SECOND, THIRD and FOURTH names out of the hat will receive a  WYLEX REC2S ISOLATOR SWITCH.

SBS Dave

THE TORQUE SCREWDRIVER / REC2S PRIZE DRAW.

Due to various circumstances, I have carried out the draw today, with the aid of my 18 year granddaughter.

The clock on the wall indicates that the names were drawn in the order indicated.

The results were

1st Prize    CTE01

2nd Prize    PHS01

3rd Prize    JPM01

4th Prize    SKE01

I shall notify each of the customers and arrange shipment to them.

Many thanks for taking part in the draw.

SBS Dave

Start Of Draw.jpg

1st Prize  CTE01.jpg

2nd Prize  PHS01.jpg

3rd Prize  JPM01.jpg

4th Prize  SKE01.jpg

"Hi David,

As requested, some photos using the board  you made up for me. Installation went well, didn't need/use the standoff.

If you are interested in constructive feedback, the centre screw holding the din rail is a bit of a nuisance as you have to remove busbar and breakers to lift out the din rail/breaker assembly. Small point; other than that it was a joy to wire in the live/neutrals and have plenty space too. Thumbs up! Regards, George."

I would say that is a satisfied (new) customer, who had a bit of a space problem, when upgrading an  OFF PEAK / ON PEAK  installation.

On the longer DIN rails, there is a centre screw to stabilise the DIN rail, which you can't get at, when the DIN rail is populated.

You can however, lift off the whole assembly in one piece, after unclicking the devices.

inside.pnguntitled.png

This DB shows most of the additional "bits" I offer, including Stand-Off Frame, insulated back knockouts, insulated spare live busbar pins and blanks filling the lid spare ways.  It just needs slots cut in appropriate places for the tails and circuits cables to come into the back knockouts.

It saves a lot of time and messing on site.

Box SOF and BKO.jpgBox Inside.jpgBox lid open.jpgBox lid closed.jpg 

I think the LIVE range of AMD3 boxes I sell, represent good value for money, but I am sure you all by now have decided which range of metal boxes you are going to run with.

One new customer is a Wylex man and has some of their boxes in stock, but wanted to upgrade to the Compacts, for all the reasons known to my existing customers.

So, this is what I sold him. It is completely assembled and ready to clip onto the empty DIN rail of his Wylex board.

Compact RCBO  Main Switch Assembly #1.jpg

Compact RCBO Main Switch Assembly #2.jpg

Best not show that photo to the scam police as they will "have you" for having exposed incoming copper accessible!
....and no mechanical restraint of incoming tails that I Can see

something i have just thought of, never occurred to me before..........should there be RCD protection to the meter tails as they go behind the board?....as i say, just a thought....I may well,be blowing bubbles

....and no mechanical restraint of incoming tails that I Can see

something i have just thought of, never occurred to me before..........should there be RCD protection to the meter tails as they go behind the board?....as i say, just a thought....I may well,be blowing bubbles
if they are behind the distribution board, then they are mechanically protected BY the metal DB, if they go behind the backing board (<50mm), then I agree they should be RCD protected.

Isn't it more the case that a proper gland for the tails helps provides mechanical security against against the "yanking" effect and God forbid the tails shorting against the metal cu?

Latest posts