Sbs Trade Sales

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GENTLEMEN, AM I P****D OFF OR WHAT??!!

I have just received my order of Compacts from China and they have manufactured and shipped C curve instead of B curve.

This means I am now trying to sell C curve instead of B curve, until I can get the correct ones shipped.

I now have a substantial number of 6A, 16A, 20A and 32A.in C curve, but it leaves me out of stock of 16A and 20A B curve.

From a Zs point of view, there should be no problem using these sizes on most normal circuits, so I am sure you will be able to substitute C curve for B curve.

There is also a good reason to use 6A C curve on modern lighting circuits, due to increased in-rush currents.

The C curve Compact has a Trade Price of £14.00, compared to £13.00 for B curve, but I am prepared to offer them @ £12.00 each, until stocks drop to acceptable  levels. Your order, if over £50.00 gets an extra 5% and over £100.00, gets an extra 10%. This equates to £11.40 and £10.80 respectively + VAT.

I am awaiting a delivery promise from China, but in the meantime, I will supply the C curve models, unless you instruct me not to do so.

I look forward to receiving your understanding, help and co-operation.

SBS Dave

GENTLEMEN, NO LONGER P****D OFF!!

My Chinese Supplier pulled out all the stops and my B curve Compacts arrived today So, business as usual.

However, I still need to move most of my C curve Compacts, so I would appreciate you specifying C curve wherever possible.

SBS Dave

I have had some interest in my Service Isolator Switches, details of which I posted earlier.

One apparent shortcoming with my SIS-100-2 and SIS-100-4 was no method of sealing the lid, to prevent access to the live terminals.

I have now overcome that objection, by using either genuine seals ( if you stock them ), or using a piece of 2.5mm wire and 2 crimp terminals.

The picture shows the lid held in place, by threading the 2.5mm wire through a hole in the Main Switch and locking both ends with chopped-off crimp terminals.

Simple but effective.

SBS Dave

SIS-100 with seal.JPG

You could get your supplier to source / make up a longer screw with a cross drilled hole like on other makes.TBH a standard wire seal would fit there I reckon and be more durable maybe than a bit of 2.5 and "look the part" too?

Hi OnOff,

You are right, the 2.5mm seal looks like s**t and it doesn't "look the part". I didn't have a genuine seal when I made up the units and took the photo.

As I alluded to above, the genuine seal would look better. I will cadge a seal from one of my electrician customers and post a photo with the seal fitted.

However, you will see how neatly my switch sits in the box, whereas theirs sits too far into their box, leaving a gap all round and making the hole I use inaccessible.

My SISs are the Ford of Service Isolators, with prices to match, whereas theirs is supposedly the Rolls Royce. If your photo is a true representation of their finished product, then I would have expected better engineering design for the price tag.

SBS Dave

Hi OnOff,

You are right, the 2.5mm seal looks like s**t and it doesn't "look the part". I didn't have a genuine seal when I made up the units and took the photo.

As I alluded to above, the genuine seal would look better. I will cadge a seal from one of my electricihttp://talk.electricianforum.co.uk/topic/22663-sbs-trade-sales/page-7#entry335375an customers and post a photo with the seal fitted.

However, you will see how neatly my switch sits in the box, whereas theirs sits too far into their box, leaving a gap all round and making the hole I use inaccessible.

My SISs are the Ford of Service Isolators, with prices to match, whereas theirs is supposedly the Rolls Royce. If your photo is a true representation of their finished product, then I would have expected better engineering design for the price tag.

SBS Dave
The above is a Wylex DP 100A switch in a Wylex REC2S (S for slimline) enclosure. (I have seen them fitted in the "simpler" Wylex ESE2 2-module enclosure which only has a 2 screw cover and would require securing thru the horizontal hole like yours - the ESE2 is very similar to yours. The angle doesn't show it well in my first photo but there is enough room to expose the "hole" you used on yours to get a wire through - photo below shows this. Last ones I bought were just over £18.00 ea +VAT. They, (the REC2), do to me seem more "solid" than the ESE2. The Wylex one is just what I've always fitted and I don't think you can beat the tails entry detail. Shout if you want some wires & seals and I'll pop you a half dozen in the post. Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
the big BIG advantage I see with the wylex REC enclosures is the tail entry points,

no other enclosure I have ever seen has this 'unique' feature AFAIAA.

EDIT,

also the split cover allows the 'LIVE' side to be sealed and the switched side to still be accessible.

The Wylex is a nice piece of kit, as I have said on an earlier post. I even said I would buy a few at the £12.00 ish price being offered by RS Components. That is no longer the case, with prices substantially higher than this. It was never my intention to compete with Wylex REC on features.

I stock the small enclosures for other applications and I have a surplus stock of VOLEX switches, which are identical to the WYLEX one in the  REC.

Screwfix currently sell the Wylex switch only for £7.19 + VAT. I assemble and sell my SIS-100-2 c/w box. for £7.00 + VAT, in an attempt to shift slow-moving stock.

My real business is RCBO sales, especially the Compacts.

My sales to TEF members are now quite substantial, thank you, but if I can offer other minor products at value-for-money prices, I will do.

SBS Dave

PS, Steptoe,

I would really appreciate a few seals, as you so kindly offered. My address is at the start of this SBS Trade Sales post.

The Wylex is a nice piece of kit, as I have said on an earlier post. I even said I would buy a few at the £12.00 ish price being offered by RS Components. That is no longer the case, with prices substantially higher than this. It was never my intention to compete with Wylex REC on features.

I stock the small enclosures for other applications and I have a surplus stock of VOLEX switches, which are identical to the WYLEX one in the  REC.

Screwfix currently sell the Wylex switch only for £7.19 + VAT. I assemble and sell my SIS-100-2 c/w box. for £7.00 + VAT, in an attempt to shift slow-moving stock.

My real business is RCBO sales, especially the Compacts.

My sales to TEF members are now quite substantial, thank you, but if I can offer other minor products at value-for-money prices, I will do.

SBS Dave

PS, Steptoe,

I would really appreciate a few seals, as you so kindly offered. My address is at the start of this SBS Trade Sales post.
Horses for courses I suppose on the REC front. A fair few of the suppliers now fit the Wylex one on a meter change, British Gas for instance. They are "rugged" if I had to choose a word. It was me who offered the seals by the way - just put 10 in the post to you. Cheers.

OOPS!!!,

Sorry about that Onoff.

It was an edited afterthought and I got it wrong.

Thanks any way for your kind offer.

SBS Dave

Hi Onoff,

Thanks for the seals; received them yesterday. Will fit one to my SISs and post a photo.

SBS Dave

Dave I have a metalclad Wylex box that I may want to use on a job incomer is right side can you make busbars to fit this with compacts?

Hi Batty,

No problem.

The R/H Main Switch, RCBOs and busbars will arrive pre-assembled, ready to clip onto the Wylex DIN rail.

Regards

SBS Dave

the big BIG advantage I see with the wylex REC enclosures is the tail entry points,

no other enclosure I have ever seen has this 'unique' feature AFAIAA.

EDIT,

also the split cover allows the 'LIVE' side to be sealed and the switched side to still be accessible.
Actually Hager do something very similar, but I've yet to use one. Like the tails clamp which is one up on the Wylex. (you just know it'll be good though). Think I'll order one just so I can touch it........... :coat

http://www.hager.co.uk/products/energy-distribution/enclosures/meter-box-switch/21666.htm

SIS-100-2 with seal.JPGSIS-100-4 with seal.JPGSIS-100-4S with seal.JPG

As promised, pictures of my Service Isolator Switches with seals, courtesy of Onoff

Bolt-on SIS #1.JPGBolt-on SIS #2.JPG

How about this for a neat idea.

A "BOLT-ON" Service Isolator for one of my IP65 CUs.

Tails entry can be top or bottom entry and could be mounted L/H or R/H or Top or Bottom, with regard to the CU.

It could even accommodate the Main Earthing Terminal.

SBS Dave

Hi Onoff,

I checked out the Hager Service Isolator and it too is a nice piece of kit.

I believe the bottom only of the 2-piece cover is sealable, but it does have cable grips, to stop the tails falling out. 

I am not sure if you have bought one to "touch", but if you send me your contact details, I will send you my equivalent SIS-2-100,so you can touch that.

AND I WILL SUPPLY IT FREE OF CHARGE, as a thank you for the seals you gave me.

Dave S

PRICE LIST Spring 2014.jpg

Above is my new Price List for Spring 2014. Not much has changed with prices since last year, but there are a few additions.

I have increased my range of Enclosures, to give a range of 2 - 21 module options. If you are looking for something different from those listed, please give me a call.

I have brought down my stock of C curve Compact RCBOs, so they are now listed at £14.00 + VAT. I will probably only maintain minimal stocks of C curve, with orders for larger quantities on a 4-week lead time.

I am also starting to offer METER TAILS and SERVICE CONNECTOR BLOCKS, following quite a few requests from customers. Let me know if the prices are right and they could be shipped along with a DB, with no increase in shipping costs. I will provide photos of the tail packs and SCBs in the near future.

I have overcome a problem with Compacts, when trying to use them with MCBs on one or more circuits. I have now developed a busbar modification, that will allow say one or two MCBs next to the Main Switch, followed by the Compact RCBOs and with either L/H or R/H Main Switch. This allows non-RCD protected circuits, should you need them.

I look forward to doing good business with my existing TEF customers and new ones.

SBS Dave