Signing Off On Diy

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gkinghrn

Reaction score
Just joined here. Typically I've always tried to do as much of any work in the house but I know my limitations.

I was going to wire in about a dozen or so down lighters in a room but with all the regs these days I want to ensure it gets certified by a 'competent' person.

What's the professional sparkies view of signing off on folks like me (let's assume I will have done it right) ?

Also to be sure I bring them in at the right time when would that be? first fix would be after cutting the holes , wiring it up but not connecting? Final fix is wiring to the mains?

Be gentle with my first post.. At least I'm asking and recognise the need for professionals somewhere

I would have nothing to do with signing off some electrical work done by a random on the internet.

The only person who can answer your question is the electrician that you will be using to sign off your work.

at best, you could sign for the design & construction on a 3 part EIC and someone else does I&T, or you can get a EICR done

but if its to sign off for building regs, then you dont have many options

personally, if it was me, you would get an EICR (report) done, and thats it. and if its new work id be tempted to mark it as unsatisfactory even for any non-compliances that would normally be satisfactory

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Andy and lurch .. Based on these 2 responses it would seem difficult for a home diy bod to get their work signed off then unless the spark does all the work?

I would charge much more to come and inspect your work than I would charge to do the job myself. Complete false economy.

It's not even acceptable in Wales under Part P still.

I would not do it, unless.

1. I knew the guy doing the work, personally.

2. I trusted him.

3. I knew that he was competent to do the job.

4. I was checking, pretty much daily what was being done.

5. I had the final say in if it was right or wrong.

6. If it was wrong, it was re-done without question, to my standards.

Hence why I rarely even use subbies, and never when I am not there.

Oh, and on a rare occasion, having just read the post by Essex, I agree 100%

Are you using an existing lighting circuit - ie no new circuit breaker (MCB)?

Are these in a bathroom?

Does the circuit have an RCD protecting it (either the individual circuit or a part [or all] of the board)?

Are you using an existing lighting circuit - ie no new circuit breaker (MCB)?

Are these in a bathroom?

Does the circuit have an RCD protecting it (either the individual circuit or a part [or all] of the board)?
Yes it would be using an existing lighting circuit.It does have RCD protection on a board for the lighting circuit on that 1 floor.

No not a bathroom it's a bedroom .. With a unboarded loft above it which makes access easy. Hence why I even considered doing it myself. I assume work like this has to be certified to meet local authority rules these days..

No it does not if you are extending an existing circuit. Any responsible person would still insist on an installation certificate to ensure as far as practicable that the installation is safe regardless of what LABC says.

You say you have RCD protection. Do you know if the RCD is in working order?

Yes the RCD works fine based on it tripping as the odd bulb has blown as they do..

If you are going to alter the circuit, how will you ensure that the insulation resistance and earth fault loop impedance of fhe completed work will still meet the requirements of BS7671, thus be safe to protect your family and property in the event of a fault?

Yes the RCD works fine based on it tripping as the odd bulb has blown as they do..
Just because it trips mate does not mean it is acceptable. You should also test to ensure the RCD is not over sensitive.

I would find it highly unlikely that the RCD would ever trip with a lamp blowing.
Really? Seen hundreds over the years.

If you are going to alter the circuit, how will you ensure that the insulation resistance and earth fault loop impedance of fhe completed work will still meet the requirements of BS7671, thus be safe to protect your family and property in the event of a fault?
thats partly why I am asking the question about a professional checking things out and their view of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.