Smoke Hoods

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHE

Reaction score
Hi new to the forum and this is my first post. Can anyone help me. Ive been asked to install smoke hoods over existing halogen downlights in a golf club after being picked up in a recent periodic inspection. There is no accommodation above only roof space. I was under the impression that smoke hoods were only required to seal off the ceiling if there was a danger of fire spreading through the ceiling and floor above?!

Yes I always do now anyway, but this work was done by some one else.

Yes I always do now anyway, but this work was done by some one else.
Hello and welcome to the forum. Just do the work and take the money. If they want you to swap all the switches for identical ones and pay you to do it - do it!

:D Tiz all turnover!

if loft access is good fit hoods, if not fit fire-rated downlights. Just don't try fitting hoods through the holes - its a total pain in the bum. Think you are right and they aren't needed, unless attic is linked to other parts of the building??

in the manufactures instructions (and maybe the building regs) there needs to be something protecting things from getting on the lamp or words to those effect. So fire hoods do this or loft caps or loft braces (JCC).

Hello and welcome to the forum. Just do the work and take the money. If they want you to swap all the switches for identical ones and pay you to do it - do it! :D Tiz all turnover!
yes I am happy to take the money (there is a recession on you know!)but I was wondering if any of you did any periodics and if you would insist on them being replaced.