Socket move

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SparkJ

Reaction score
I have to quote for a job where the customer wants to move a radiator two metres along a wall. In the new position the radiator will cover an existing double socket. The job is to move the double socket two metres back along the wall to where the radiator was initially.

I was thinking of removing the socket face and extending the ring using a connector strip in the original socket back box and covering it with a blanking plate and chasing the wall to the new location and then sinking in the new box. By leaving the original box I aim to maintain the horizontal safe zone,

I am not sure if this arrangement will leave the connector strip

behind a radiator is not accessible. you would need to use either push fit connectors or crimp it. leaving a blank plate will sort the cable route issues.

dont forget you will need to RCD the circuit if it isnt already, and make sure bonding is upto standard

I have to quote for a job where the customer wants to move a radiator two metres along a wall. In the new position the radiator will cover an existing double socket. The job is to move the double socket two metres back along the wall to where the radiator was initially.I was thinking of removing the socket face and extending the ring using a connector strip in the original socket back box and covering it with a blanking plate and chasing the wall to the new location and then sinking in the new box. By leaving the original box I aim to maintain the horizontal safe zone,

I am not sure if this arrangement will leave the connector strip

Thanks for that - not come across Wagobox before - lokks like a handy product

Thanks for that - not come across Wagobox before - lokks like a handy product
the 222 & 773 series are classed as a maintenance free joints,

so can be used in inaccessible places (e.g. behind radiators;)) in the same manner as crimps.

They can be undone,

Not the cheapest of connectors...

but they pay for themselves with less hassle!

If you place an order on line I can confirm they do give good service...

Not sure if you can get them cheaper elsewhere though?

maybe someone else knows?

the 222 & 773 series are classed as a maintenance free joints,so can be used in inaccessible places (e.g. behind radiators;)) in the same manner as crimps.

They can be undone,

Not the cheapest of connectors...

but they pay for themselves with less hassle!

If you place an order on line I can confirm they do give good service...

Not sure if you can get them cheaper elsewhere though?

maybe someone else knows?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WAGO-2-WIRE-LEVER-CONNECTOR-BLOCK-ELECTRIC-CRIMPS-x-50_W0QQitemZ350155250453QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_DIY_Material_Electrical_Fittings_MJ?hash=item350155250453&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1686%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

26p each?

Although this is not against the regs, I do not like the idea of having a hidden permanent joint behind a radiator

Could you imajine in a few years time someone putting a shelf above the radiator, looking about for cable zones and seeing no sockets (because it's hidden) and then drilling straight through the cable!!!!!!!!

Although this is not against the regs, I do not like the idea of having a hidden permanent joint behind a radiatorCould you imajine in a few years time someone putting a shelf above the radiator, looking about for cable zones and seeing no sockets (because it's hidden) and then drilling straight through the cable!!!!!!!!
think you'd see the blank plate behind the rad?

No, not really, especially if it's a K2!!Would a new owner of the property even look behind it??
I would look if I was going to make a hole in the wall.

Isn't K2 2nd highest mountain in the world.................

I would look if I was going to make a hole in the wall.Isn't K2 2nd highest mountain in the world.................
But you and I are not "Joe public"

It is, bit it's also a double panel multi finned radiator!!

I tink you can get one that has fins on the back aswell.. ?:| ? :|

No, not really, especially if it's a K2!!Would a new owner of the property even look behind it??
I do, to see if there is a colour mis-match, see where they have stopped short on the painting or to see what the old wallpaper was like. :D

Oh, And there is a cheaper version, but equally as good out there on the "Push fit" front.

They are Made by Ideal industries. I have posted a link to them before, Maybe patch has seen them and can recall the thread?

But these, inside a "Choc Box" is also classed as a perinant joint.

Either that or the "Crimp" suggestion is what I may go with.

So, to ensure a future owner of the house is safe to put up shelving what's the solution? A full rewire? Knock the house down? Take out the central heating maybe. You just can't predict all future circumstances. Surely as long as the regs are followed and a good quality job is done then it's up to the end user to ensure their own safety. And if they can't then there's bound to be an RCD somewhere to prevent instant cremation.

But seriously, what are alternative methods for this job, if any?

Nice one from Cool Eddie, you can't keep allowing for some possible future action by some possible future person who may or may not put up some sort of mystical shelf and may or may not , drill through a cable fitted 20 yrs ago. Our trade seems to be going down this road more amd more.

I heard the classic one twice last week..... from a plumber and an NIC sparks " I put 10mm in to all showers in case someone wants to fit a bigger shower" Sorry guys but I blooming well don't. Who is this person who might want to fit a bigger shower , I don't get that one !!

While I'm on the soap box, when did connectors become non permament, the push fit are only mechanical joints .

Deke

Right, i'm off to install a three phase supply in my house just in case a future owner wants to turn it into a steel fabrication plant.

Right, i'm off to install a three phase supply in my house just in case a future owner wants to turn it into a steel fabrication plant.
Applaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud Smiley

I actually laughed aloud

:D