SPT-2 wire

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corimaman

Reaction score
I recently purchased a battery drill on eBay and it unexpectedly came with a 110V charger in the box. The charger was obviously intended for the american market since the mains lead was fitted with a 2 pin american style mains plug. Since i already have a 240V charger i intend to sell the 110V one. To make it more saleable over here in the uk can I simply put a yellow IP44 110V 3pin plug on the end of the lead considering the type of lead is SPT-2, and sell it as outdoor/industrial usage. If this is fine then where can I get a plug where the cord grip will bite down small enough on the insulation?

most the chargers you see on ebay are people who bought from the states, and then fitted a commando plug. I've done the same and use it with my tranny. It works fine, i'll have to check and see what make of plug i used - but it grips the cable fine - ideally you'd change the cable over too - to some hituf or rubber, or yellow artic.

O.

Ps - its a cheap way of buying chargers for site work :)

dont forget american stuff runs at 60Hz. stuff like the transformer will convert the AC to DC so should be a problem though, but some stuff may not like the different frequency. as patch says, check the input details - it may have a voltage of 110-240Vac