Storage heater

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoulkillaH

Reaction score
Hi All!

I have a storage heater which doesn t work.

I measure it and the value of ohms it s bigger then normal(4ohms bigger).

Also when i checked the connections in the spur i found live current on the neutral .I have to mention the breaker is always tripping.

Can you guys tell me where the fault is?

I want to repair the heater and i want a advice,if it is possible.

Thank you!!

4 ohm bigger than normal... whats normal?

what exactly do you mean by 'live current on the neutral' & how did you measure this

when does the breaker trip? (immediatly or after a set time/random?)

Andy,

As you can see i don t know to much about electricity.I remember the value was around 26ohms instead 22ohms.the fuse is tripping after a while.

By 'live current on the neutral' i am mean the tester( screwdriver tester) its showing live on both connections of the wall switch.

Is this making any sense to you?

I am sorry but my English is poor(not my mother tongue)

And finnaly,one more question: Does the small Dimplex storage heater can be reset?

first of all, get rid of the screwdriver tester, unless your happy to use something that passes electricity through your body to 'test'

use a multimeter/volt meter to test the voltages between conductors

22ohms, assuming 240 Volts = 10.9 Amps (Ohm's Law obviously) - presumably your MCB/Fuse is rated above this?

22ohms assuming correct MCB/Fuse rating is not your problem, and assuming the 22ohms is measured at the input terminals to the heater the heater has not tripped internally.

So..................

There has to be another reason (other than overload) for the MCB to trip, I would guess it's leakage. Low insulation resistance either between live and neutral or between live and earth causing a short circuit - maybe once the element gets hot.

You would need an insulation tester to measure this I'm afraid, but if you examine the elements carefully you may find signs of overheating.

Thanks for the reply guys!

The second question was if a small (one element) storage heater can be reset ?

if you do take the cover off to get to the elements, be aware that many contain asbestos, and storage heater asbestos is not known for being in good shape, i.e it will fall apart when you look at it

Only if it's tripped, and if you are measuring 22ohms at the input terminals, it hasn't!
So, i should measure 22 ohms at the terminals?Is a 800 wats heater.

230x 230=52900/800=~66 ohm

I am wrong?

Most if not all storage heaters use different numbers of 800w elements to heat the bricks.

800w does in fact equate to a resistance of 66ohms, so if you have a reading of 22ohms I would suggest that you are measuring the elements in parallel (together and not seperately)

Once more thank you very much for reply.

I have to mention it s about 2 different heaters.First is one with 3 elements which i m sure is faulty and the second is a small one with one element.

Now, i have another question:the power (wattage) of a radiator is the sum of each element connected in parallel? 800+800+800=2,4 kw??

Thank you!!

Andy,As you can see i don t know to much about electricity.I remember the value was around 26ohms instead 22ohms.the fuse is tripping after a while.

By 'live current on the neutral' i am mean the tester( screwdriver tester) its showing live on both connections of the wall switch.

Is this making any sense to you?

I am sorry but my English is poor(not my mother tongue)

And finnaly,one more question: Does the small Dimplex storage heater can be reset?
Yet you claim to be an NICEIC DI........................?

Yes, it s come by default setting.I didn t say i am qualified as a electrician ,that s why i join this forum,to get advices.Do i ask for too much?