tails in to main switch

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dean mac

Reaction score
hi all, my mate was terminating a fuseboard earlier and i noticed u could see the brown and blue sheath above the mainswitch i told him u should strip the tails so u only see the grey sheath into the mainswitch he said i was wrong wot do u guys think

you should strip the outer grey sheath enough so you can see what colour the core is once the lid is removed

but on some cases, you sometimes need to strip the outer sheath to outside the case for it to fit in the pre-made holes

you should strip the outer grey sheath enough so you can see what colour the core is once the lid is removedbut on some cases, you sometimes need to strip the outer sheath to outside the case for it to fit in the pre-made holes
i got it wrong then i thought the grey should only show and then put tape on to identify them

Just a thought...

If you had some T&E going into a switch and the sheath was stripped back so that some of the inner insulation was visible; then that would be a fail!!

Theres no difference with tails!

However, when needs must.....

hi all, my mate was terminating a fuseboard earlier and i noticed u could see the brown and blue sheath above the mainswitch i told him u should strip the tails so u only see the grey sheath into the mainswitch he said i was wrong wot do u guys think
Just to say... first of all Brown and Blue is Insulation Not sheath:)

I normally leave a short length of insulation visible to verify correct colour codes appropriate to pollarity...

All other cables have the sheath stripped back and insulation identification visible at their terminations.. tails no different IMHO.

Sheath just protects from mechanical damage...

Inside the CU the CU housing provide mechanical protection.

Correct designed cables / tails will have insulation that is more than adequate to withstand the voltage & current it has to carry, so perfectly safe! ;)

Just a thought...If you had some T&E going into a switch and the sheath was stripped back so that some of the inner insulation was visible; then that would be a fail!!

Theres no difference with tails!

However, when needs must.....
wot about tails going in to a meter surely u shouldnt see the colours

wot about tails going in to a meter surely u shouldnt see the colours
most DNO fit coloured cable ties.

with most meters, you need to cut the outer sheath about 5mm behind the inner sheath to be able to get the copper and inner sheath into the meter enough not to be able to poke something at the copper

Most dno in my area use all brown for live and all blue for neutral tails. I have got some on order at the moment save putting insulation tape on it and looks more professional.

Batty

Most dno in my area use all brown for live and all blue for neutral tails. I have got some on order at the moment save putting insulation tape on it and looks more professional.Batty
had to re read that twice!!!:OGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

you mean they got Blue & brown Sheathed as well as insulated?

where's that available from then?

got a link?

do share pleeeeeeeease uncle batty!:OBlushing:xApplaud SmileyApplaud Smiley

had to re read that twice!!!:OGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drinkyou mean they got Blue & brown Sheathed as well as insulated?

got a link?

Tried getting that a few years ago but was told it was DNO only. I saw some in my local wholesalers last month, but they said it was to order only.

had to re read that twice!!!:OGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drinkyou mean they got Blue & brown Sheathed as well as insulated?

got a link?

Specs

Still on order when I get it will let you know where it came from and how much. Wholesaler getting it from cable supplier

Batty

Was it dirty?you be leaving coffee & beer rings where you been spillin your drinks badge...

Please keep ebay clean, others have got to use it after you! :^O ; \ ]:)
i havent spilled anything over ebay and im not cleaning up after pachey specially after the places he goes into :^O