testing to see if upstairs is leeching off my meter

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All the cables loop off into the ceiling. It looks impossible to determine where they go after that without ripping the ceilings out. This is why we have meters and so forth, I suppose. All I can think of to test it is to turn the fusebox off here and then check his heating upstairs to see if it still has power. Any comments? BB
sounds good to me...

:p

Is That a BS951 I see before me on the Supplier's lead sheathed incomer?

Appears to be a 3036 - with possible "push button type" MCBs, looking at pic 4, KME?

Gosh that lot looks a bit, naff... :eek: :O
It's really old. It was all one building, then it was split into one house and two flats. It's really higgledy-piggledy. Which really doesn't help.

BB

I think you need to get your eyes tested, that's an old Mem metalclad board with porcelain fuse holders. They ceased production about 76.Any chance of a overall view of the whole set up ?
I must do, I went for one Yesterday Morning and ended up in a Travel Agents - They said that I do need an eye test as the "Opticians" was Next Door. :^O

gas5.jpg

gas6.jpg

gas7.jpg

Hi Admin, I'll (gratefully) leave you to clean them up as you seem to be better at it than me. I'd like to point out though that I run them through an optimiser so they load way faster than they would otherwise.

BB

It's really old. It was all one building, then it was split into one house and two flats. It's really higgledy-piggledy. Which really doesn't help.BB
I replaced one of those fuseboards, a few months ago..

(Horrid thing)

:_|

Ok Bill, this pic http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/electricianforum/various/gas3.jpg is the box that supplies upstairs, your stuff runs through the meter shown to the fusebox shown. If they are tapping into your leccy, it would be off one of those cables disappearing into the ceiling. Almost impossible to find without taking up a lot of the 1st floor floorboards.

OK - Thanks Bill.

There are obviously a few concerns with your supply; even if we negate the upstairs issue!

In the first instance, if you want to find out if there is a supply running to upstairs:

Main switch OFF.

Go upstairs, and ask them to switch the heating etc ON, and see if it works. If the switches have neons, that would be an easy way to tell!

The only other concern I had previously, was that there was a drain from your supply BEFORE the fusebox. From the piccies, this doesn`t appear to be the case.

I would suggest, if it IS coming through you, it will be on one of the red fuses, shown to the left of your board. They are likely to be running your cooker / sockets.

I would also be tempted to draft a letter to the landlord/lady. Lie a little bit, and state that you`ve had an electrician out. From those pics, virtually everyone on here would give you a report containing quite a few code 1`s; without seeing any more than we already have. Pressure them into having it put right, as it poses a danger to your life/lives.

Ok Bill, this pic http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/electricianforum/various/gas3.jpg is the box that supplies upstairs, your stuff runs through the meter shown to the fusebox shown. If they are tapping into your leccy, it would be off one of those cables disappearing into the ceiling. Almost impossible to find without taking up a lot of the 1st floor floorboards.
Would tend to concur with Mr. Slipslap. That box is before your meter, so doesn`t affect you.

OK - Thanks Bill.There are obviously a few concerns with your supply; even if we negate the upstairs issue!

In the first instance, if you want to find out if there is a supply running to upstairs:

Main switch OFF.

Go upstairs, and ask them to switch the heating etc ON, and see if it works. If the switches have neons, that would be an easy way to tell!

The only other concern I had previously, was that there was a drain from your supply BEFORE the fusebox. From the piccies, this doesn`t appear to be the case.

I would suggest, if it IS coming through you, it will be on one of the red fuses, shown to the left of your board. They are likely to be running your cooker / sockets.

I would also be tempted to draft a letter to the landlord/lady. Lie a little bit, and state that you`ve had an electrician out. From those pics, virtually everyone on here would give you a report containing quite a few code 1`s; without seeing any more than we already have. Pressure them into having it put right, as it poses a danger to your life/lives.
Ive done very nasty letters for less.

your buoilding is certainly in a VERY POOR condition, and thats just from piccies, never mind an actually visual inspection, god knows what a test would turn up. :eek:

where abouts in the country are you sir.?

I'm still in Surrey. Any specific info you could give me which would pressure the landlady into sorting all this out would be gratefully received. I see code 1s referred to above; what are they please?

A bit of background, many years ago the gas man came to replace the gas meter which was a mandatory thing, it was out of date. He ended up condemning the gas boiler, the gas cooker and the gas fires in the bedroom and the front room. Having come close to blowing the whole area up then, the landlady may well be a little touchy about possible prosecution and duly encouraged to sort this out pronto if I can give her some hard facts.

BB

Is there not an authority I can appeal to here? I already went to the CAB and they said there was nothing much I could do (about the inconvenience of the large electricity bills etc.) but if there's actual danger to my person then that takes it into a different sphere altogether. Maybe I should move some more stuff out from under the stairs and try to take a couple more pics - being a bit tubby (23 stone :)) it's a bit tricky getting in there, heh-heh.

BB

BB

Ah, the cooker is gas, by the way. Hot water's gas too. There's no central heating or anything.

BB