The Meter Men Are At It Again

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallis.s.s

Reaction score
I was on site waiting for a 400V 100A T-T temporay builders supply to be connected when the meter man turned up he told me he was not going to connect the meter because MOCOPA rules state that the earth rod had to be at least 9M away from the PME conductor i reminded him the this was a T-T supply not a T-NC,T-NS or T-NCS he still insisted that he would not connect the supply. Has anyone else had this happen to them and not they know where to find the MOCOPA reg's as i have looked on their web site and theres nothing there really

The only times I have had a building site supply, they have installed PME.

YOU then choose to ignore the PME earth and connect to your own rod.  I don't see it's any of their business?

I posted on this some time back, and it was the same set-up, I never had another spike so at 10M I put a long SDS 10mm bit in my drill and fired that in the ground.

Then laid a 10mm 6491X to that and clamped it, he looked on bemused and said that's not an earth spike, I tested it got a reading of something like 85 Ohms and said connect it's good.

He connected the supply and drove off, I then ripped out my drill bit and reconnected to my original spike.

I asked why and he did not know, I then phoned his manager and he did not know why either, just that it had to be more than 9M, my problem was they were clearing ground all around so 9M was not possible.

Dave - SSE and MEB will only supply TT for builders supply now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess it depends on what exactly the "building supply" is for.

If it's one supply to power a whole building site while an estate of houses is built, I can believe what you say.

Most of the time, the "building supplies" I deal with are an individual supply for the construction of an individual house, often used also to power the owners static caravan during the build process.  In that case when the house is finished they come and move the supply into the house and it becomes the final supply. So in that case it makes sense for them to supply PME from the outset, and you just ignore the PME earth while it's a building supply.

Last edited by a moderator:
no the tbs is purely for construction use( step down transformers and site offices) in it's own koisk out on the site boundry and not to be converted at the end of the job in to the building permenant