Tolls

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m4tty

Scaredy cat™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

if you go through a toll tunnel/bridge to and from work. How can you claim the money back for the toll fee of you don't have a receipt?

I'm probably missing the obvious but thought I'd ask anyway

thanks

M4tty,

I was completing expense claims in 1989 when I was working for a large international PLC and have been in jobs almost exclusively since then until "going alone" where I had to complete expense claims, these obviously had to meet IR & Co. guidelines.

Depends which toll, most will give you a receipt, M25 never used to so just claim it anyway, IR know this, the others I have driven through all over the country I used to get a receipt, if none were given I would claim it anyway at the value.

IR know which ones do & don't give receipts, they will also allow things to go through within reason IF you have no receipt for a journey that obviousy crosses a toll bridge, e.g. Severn crossing, as long as you don't do it ALL the time.

When I was living in Swansea & my office was near Cirencester (I was officially home based but that was my HQ) I used to commute regularly, and asked if I could coin bin & claim, thus no receipt (co. car) I was told yes!

Are you Sole Trader, Partnership or Ltd.?

I am Ltd. thus I complete an expense claim form and claim my legitimate out of pocket expenses from the company funds.

I guess if you are sole trader you would just put these as a business overhead.

My accountant goes through everything at the end of the year and dots the i's & crosses the t's.

HTH

m4tty,

Trust me any wagon drivers will be getting receipts unless they have a "tag" or "permit" etc.

So just get one if they are available, everyone else who needs it will be getting one.

Don't feel guilty it is an essential item if available, just like it takes time to test & fill in a cert.

You don't get kit from the wholesalers without a receipt so don't do it at the toll.

;)

You can buy pre-paid books of vouchers for the Dartford crossing, or as others have stated, a commercial permit system.

get a dart tag matty, i have looked into it a few times.

I take it u r referring to the dartford tolls due to your location.

Untill they brought in the congestion charging, It was a well known dodge to claim for parking up the West End. Parking meters did not give receipts and parking all day could cost about

i hate dartford...

most times i use dartford, first trip is early morning when its free. but you still have to stop at the booth until barrier goes up and light goes to green

also i dont normally get a chance to get any good views from the bridge... usually southbound early morning in the dark, and north thru tunnel later when its light

My ex works in the dart tag department mate. I have a dart tag and wouldent be without it. I live in grays and fall under the local residents scheme so I pay 20p a crossing in my car. Also with a dart tag you get monthly statements to your email address with all the info u need to claim. Any questions just pm me and I'll give you more details.

Nice one everyone thanks for the responses. Yes it is the dreaded dartford tunnel and ffs it is annoying that you still have to wait for the green light n barrier to go up and down between every car when it's free overnight. Would like any info on getting a dart tag and if I'm in the catchment area for the discount as I live 5 mins from the tunnel.

I'm having a mare with my internets ATM the local 3g pole is down so I've got dial up speed Internet. Jokes

I very rarely pay at the Dartford crossing, infact I can't actually remember when it was I last had to pay. Just slip up to the front of the queue, wave at the person in the booth, wave thanks as they open the barrier and shoot off.

When I worked in Liverpool and used the Mersey Tunnel everyday I bought what is called a Fast Tag. I paid a set amount a month, put the tag in the driver side of the window drove up to the barrier where it was read by a reader if I was in credit green light came on and up went the barrier, if I was near using my credit on my tag a flashing orange light came up with the barrier still going up.

See if they have one of these for your route.

Another thing was by having the tag it was cheaper to use the tunnel, was only 10p each way but it worked out at about

Nice one everyone thanks for the responses. Yes it is the dreaded dartford tunnel and ffs it is annoying that you still have to wait for the green light n barrier to go up and down between every car when it's free overnight. Would like any info on getting a dart tag and if I'm in the catchment area for the discount as I live 5 mins from the tunnel. I'm having a mare with my internets ATM the local 3g pole is down so I've got dial up speed Internet. Jokes
If you live 5 mins from the tunnel I assume you will fall under the residents discount. Only bad thing is you can't use the discount if your in a van headbang

Where in Kent are you and I'll find out if you qualify, I'll also give you a contact name and number for my ex and she will set the account up for you.

When I worked in Liverpool and used the Mersey Tunnel everyday I bought what is called a Fast Tag. I paid a set amount a month, put the tag in the driver side of the window drove up to the barrier where it was read by a reader if I was in credit green light came on and up went the barrier, if I was near using my credit on my tag a flashing orange light came up with the barrier still going up.See if they have one of these for your route.

Another thing was by having the tag it was cheaper to use the tunnel, was only 10p each way but it worked out at about

The Mersey tunnel does not give receipts. I have never had a problem claiming this back on Xs. Where a toll road or bridge issues them I will always get one.

Don't know if it's still true but the taxman used to allow you to claim for parking meters & payphones without a receipt.

Use severn bridge a lot - always get reciepts at the booth. Got a big van and was costing arm and leg at

Latest posts