TT tails not protected

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave2

Reaction score
Todays job was to provide a cooker circuit from a cu with a 30mA rcd protecting the entire board.

Looked simple at the outset except that I will have to run SWA around building as no direct access from within.

The building is an annex to the main house however the cutout is within this annex.

The cutout feeds 2 x cu each with a 63A mcb which inturn supply the house and annex electrics.

The 2 cu's are metal and the supply to house and annex are via 16mm T&E.

No additional protection to these tails and no front end RCD (It's a TT system).

Would you: Proceed with the cooker circuit and make note on EIC that tails etc are not up to standard?

Install front end 100mA TD rcd?

Change metal cu's for insulated?

The 16mm disappears into some 50mm flexible duct and reappears some 10m into the main house.

The other 16mm is burried in the internal wall of the annex.

Job was done in 2007 by DIYer.

Property was sold last year for 760 grand!

If either of the submain cables are buried anywhere in the walls, I would provide a front-end 30mA time-delayed. In fact, I think I would do this regardless. You will still have discrimination with any downstream RCD's that you might provide.

100mA RCD's are for fire protection, but not idiots with hammers and nails.

If either of the submain cables are buried anywhere in the walls, I would provide a front-end 30mA time-delayed. In fact, I think I would do this regardless. You will still have discrimination with any downstream RCD's that you might provide.100mA RCD's are for fire protection, but not idiots with hammers and nails.
not a very common article unfortunately, :|

:Blushing

You're dead right, rare as hens teeth. Brains not fully in gear tonight, sorry.

Latest posts