Unidentified Potentially Live Cable.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stripping an end of a cable to see if it's live?  Priceless.  Both of you need to be trained... preferably last week!

So how does one 'prep' an end then?  As far as I recall to prep and end in order to test it or terminate it, the conductors would have to be exposed?  Or did you mean you were going to wash the dirt/dust of it?  This is either a wind-up or you're a one-off.  Try and not kill someone, but if you do, please try and ensure it's you and no one else.

Prep it. I mean to wrap it up/boot it like everyone has suggested so that the supplying end can be found leaving the cut end in as safe a situation as possible.

I'm terminating nothing unless the ends are dead. So multimeter's are a no no. We are relying on a volt stick to say its dead. The cable is through too much of a rats nest to physically pull back in less we are sure its dead. How do we become sure its dead with out baring the end. Doesn't HSE say not to rely on volt stick?

Well say what you mean then dear chap.  To Prep the end would mean to 'get it ready for'  what ever you intend to do with it.  i.e. are you going to terminated it or contain it.  Please, forget talking like a school boy and use correct electrical terminology.  Better than that, take a course on electrical work or Health and Safety, risk assessment... anything.

The terms 'wrap it up'  and 'boot it' mean absolutely nothing regarding electrical work.

Contain it.

As for the previous question I think the answer is pull it from the supply and remove it from that end.

Criticism taken. I think I'll let this alone now.

Thanks all for your accommodating responses.

Dear zimmy.

Yes your right. The right volt stick is a good tool for quickly finding faulty equipment but I always verify where I can with the T5.

In my pocket I have a fluke volt alert 1AC-E II and so far it's not really let me down.

But...On my rear view mirror thingy I have a normal volt Alert which says everything is live including the free air it's dangling in.

So its just an ornament no use whatsoever for any testing.

I just wanted to reiterate that with a volt stick you cannot prove for sure that whatever your testing is live.

:)

Dear Arunciblespoon

Please sir and with with respect , you have big gaps in your knowledge and understanding of the problem you have highlighted, but you are correct by saying one should NOT to rely on the 'Volt Stick'.  It is just another tool to give a primary check and a dam site safer than 'Shorting to earth' as was first suggested.   Testing should be carried out by trained, competent people, qualified and experienced in what they do.  You sir, are not.  This is not a criticism, but a statement of concern for your safety, and the safety of the people working with you. 

Rob

Blue, why keep it if it's crap?

I put the VS in the same corner as the Martindale plug-in tester, 'ok' but not a 'Real' test unit.  They both have their uses but both have limitations.  It's down to understanding the kit and working accordingly.  No more, no less.  I have a decent 'Contact' indicator, non-contact VS, Martindale voltage indicator (retractable tips) in the tool box but I know how they work and when and how to use them :)

All the above are handy for throwing at wayward apprentices (what ever they are!)

:)

Ouch important warnings for all electricians.

Good forum that.

We all make mistakes.

I won't be making that mistake again.

I especially liked the bloke who chopped in to next doors supply.

Over and out.

Seems a lot of you are free on the castigation but mercifully a few of you are free on help.

As a maintenance engineer I could get your machinery up and running correctly and safely in no time. When it comes to matters pertaining 'installation' issues, naturally I will be weak. I made a f#@+ up I won't be doing again.

But I still would have to struggle a little should a similar situation occur.

Get yourself an copy of GN3, email me and I'll help you to get trained in inspection and testing.  I'll even send you questions and  guide you to the answers for free.  But please take care!

Thank you zimmy I might well do that if its genuine.

I recently took the c+g on 17ed 2008.

£400 quid. Plus book. Another 80. I scored 98%. Or one question wrong I think. Then I bought the on site guide. My oth but I can not afford the inspection and test course. I think work might now put me through at the in distance of my h+s manager. But he has also insisted we get the installation tester to no avail...

Sproketflup I don't think so. Not unless it was about landrovers or the sultans of ping.

As to the sack. It is good to hear yes.

I will strive to learn from my mistakes and help others not to make the same mistakes.

I remember someone at work destroyed a PLC by using PNP stuff on npn equipment. But I helped him sort it out and not make that mistake again. Others would have shouted about the thousands of pounds of damages caused and called for him to be sacked. We should help each other.

It is a genuine offer Arunciblespoon.  As long as it helps you on your way. I'm on the Skype thing as well as it may be easier to talk face to face on some points.  Not sure how to send you details as yet but will take a look some time today.  I've not tried to teach anyone anything on-line so you can be my No.1  student :)

Rob