Unprotected Cables In Storage Area

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having said that, his gas engineer left the flue of his combi boiler spewing the exhaust emissions across the rear elevation of the building. Depending on which way the wind was blowing the fumes could enter either my open bathroom window or second bedroom if the window was open or the same windows below in my neighbours flat. I complained to the young fellow that was putting the flew in and asked him for his gas safe number. He told me that he was not working on gas but worked for a company that was gas safe registered. He then got on his mobile phone speaking in his east European language and when he came off he said his boss would give me the number next time he was here. No boss turned up.  Within a couple of hours of complaining about the fumes to my neighbour the next morning his sparky turned up to fit an extension on the flue to divert it away at ninety degrees to the building!! That is the sparky that appeared to be the project manager of the refurb.
That sounds a whole lot more serious. doing gas work without the right qualifications is an offence.

I think you are getting Certification and Notification mixed up - these are seperate but both necessary.

Each and every CU change should be done with an Electrical Installation Certificate (EIC) provided by the sparky doing the work.

Unless you live in Scotland or Northern Ireland or the Isle of Man, compliance of Part P is necessary and this is the Notification - and if the sparky wasn't registered with a scheme his £500 (cough) could have included the fee to LABC for the inspection!
FTFY,

Fatblob  its a disgrace really , but as they are "Non English"  no one will want to do anything or take it further . 

I've read of blokes going to prison for ignoring warnings about working with gas   ( And the flue is as important as anything else)

I've seen the work these tossers  so called tradesmen do  , its a disgrace  and they have no respect  but in this country , as long as you are "non English" you can do as you please ,  take the Pee out of Part P etc,  abuse children with impunity , no one will do anything because they are frightened you 'll play the "Race" card.

Fatblob  its a disgrace really , but as they are "Non English"  no one will want to do anything or take it further . 

I've read of blokes going to prison for ignoring warnings about working with gas   ( And the flue is as important as anything else)

I've seen the work these tossers  so called tradesmen do  , its a disgrace  and they have no respect  but in this country , as long as you are "non English" you can do as you please ,  take the Pee out of Part P etc,  abuse children with impunity , no one will do anything because they are frightened you 'll play the "Race" card.
That sounds bad Evans, are you including LABC officers and Gas Safe in that mate?

That sounds bad Evans, are you including LABC officers and Gas Safe in that mate?
Well not the race card thing , but I think that in serious cases they get Trading Standards involved . 

NICEIC will throw the book at you for misuse of their logo but I think thats about it .    Local Building Inspectors rarely act against , say, Cowboy Builders , if ever .  Its not within  their remit   .

Builders are still using unregistered  sparks on .say, an extension , then at the end the customer can't get it signed off .  All after the builder has been paid of course.    LABC  can't do anything , just won't sign the job off .  Builder is  laughing all the way to latest 4 X4 dealership .

Last edited by a moderator:
Race??? Let me put it like this...

I have an argument with my neighbour and the police attend. I call the neighbour a "fat bastard" nothing happens. I call them a "black bastard" i am arrested there and then REGARDLESS of who is otherwise in the "right or wrong".......

john...

I nearly had that once,

one of the storemen called me something,

one of the MDs was in the yard at the time,

took the storeman into the office immediately,

didnt bother me TBH, I'm used to be being called a lot worse, but he knew it coulda been real bad for the company if I called it,

so WTF is wrong with people,?

can I sue every thick englishman that calls me irish?

this time next year Rodders,,,,,,,, this time next year.........

Yeah, Steps yer paddy!! See?? who cares?? Steps will now call me a Welsh sheep shagger, again who cares... It is only your "ethnic" types that makea big deal, and the only reason they do is because they KNOW they are untouchable...

john...

Well not the race card thing , but I think that in serious cases they get Trading Standards involved . 

NICEIC will throw the book at you for misuse of their logo but I think thats about it .    Local Building Inspectors rarely act against , say, Cowboy Builders , if ever .  Its not within  their remit   .

Builders are still using unregistered  sparks on .say, an extension , then at the end the customer can't get it signed off .  All after the builder has been paid of course.    LABC  can't do anything , just won't sign the job off .  Builder is  laughing all the way to latest 4 X4 dealership .
It's a bit concerning for me that I am living above a maisonette which has been rewired and has had a gas combi boiler fitted the work of which may not have been done by a member of a competent persons scheme or been subject to the LABC officers approval i.e. maybe in contravention of the building regs.

I have always taken health and safety issues seriously and consider it foolish to not comply with building regulations. After all they are there to protect everyone although nowadays it could be argued that some aspects of them are a little bit overboard.  

Surely, if I inform the LABC they will have the power to investigate and serve notice on the leaseholder to force him/her to put things right? 

part p is a badly designed / flawed scheme, that almost no-one has heard of, its almost completely un-enforced. LABC are unlikely to even be interested. now if there was an issue with the gas, then HSE may be very keen to investigate...

My local authorities'  websites does n't have anything on if you think someone is not complying with building regs. All it has is a facility to report dangerous buildings... looks like it's aimed at derelict commercial premises. Gas Safe asks you for the name of the contractor that did the job! I think you've got to go through them first for them to prove there is non compliance before they pass on to HSE to take action.

It's a bit concerning for me that I am living above a maisonette which has been rewired and has had a gas combi boiler fitted the work of which may not have been done by a member of a competent persons scheme or been subject to the LABC officers approval i.e. maybe in contravention of the building regs.

I have always taken health and safety issues seriously and consider it foolish to not comply with building regulations. After all they are there to protect everyone although nowadays it could be argued that some aspects of them are a little bit overboard.  

Surely, if I inform the LABC they will have the power to investigate and serve notice on the leaseholder to force him/her to put things right? 
Don't think you'll get anywhere with the electric bit ,  but  fitting gas appliances when  unqualified to do so is a big no-no .

Send the photos you have posted to the Landlord and put it in their hands....
I am the landlord, as well as a leaseholder 

Don't think you'll get anywhere with the electric bit ,  but  fitting gas appliances when  unqualified to do so is a big no-no .
Thanks Evans, that sounds like it will be a more productive route. Having said that I think it might be time to consult my solicitor in view of what Murdoch said above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mention ...."intermittent smell,of gas"..........and NOT from your property

They will,be around faster than Rolf in Mothercare

No offence
What a good suggestion! Thanks

So you are the single landlord? What do the lease documents say about such issues?
No mention of compliance to building regs as the leases are from 1956 so will probably have to look at the relevant act. 

Latest posts