Upgrading A Recessed Cu

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark2spark

Reaction score
Hi, a little job I looked at over the weekend, as the title says.

Got 2 MEM boards, peak & off peak, recessed into timber studwork internal wall, although wall is an external wall with brickwork outside, house built 1986 ish, 15 th edition install. Wiring ok.

Question is, is whether it's possible to just replace the busbar and fit RCBO's to replace the rewireable fuses?

Just seems a bit of a palaver to fit complete new plastic off the shelf CU's, with resulting making good of the recess?

Cheers,

Mark.

Thanks Blue Duck I'll have a look.

But realistically I think fitting new boards is going to be cheapest.

Screwfix have got small boards for £40 + vat fully loaded.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bg-6-way-high-integrity-dual-rcd-consumer-unit-6-mcbs/59209#

These happen to be almost the perfect size to fit into the recess left by the old board as well.

Have got 5 used ways on the peak, just 2 ways on the off peak. Seems a bit daft really to fit new but hey ho  :B-

post-22030-0-51122900-1364917735.jpg

Yeah I spotted that BD, but the DIN rail doesn't need to be altered for that type of change. Busbar is the same as well. I don't have pics of the inside of the recessed board but it's different to a new board.

If I use the boards as in my link above, I can put both off peak circuits on their own RCD, I like that idea as storage heaters can be a bit pony for tripping.

Still looking for options though  :)

Yeah I spotted that BD, but the DIN rail doesn't need to be altered for that type of change. Busbar is the same as well. I don't have pics of the inside of the recessed board but it's different to a new board.

If I use the boards as in my link above, I can put both off peak circuits on their own RCD, I like that idea as storage heaters can be a bit pony for tripping.

Still looking for options though  :)
its not you know  ;)

notice how there are NO cables going to the neutral bar,,,,,,

they are DP RCBOs and there 2 busbars running under them in the 2nd pic, Line & Neutral.

Don't forget all this stuff about not modifying a board , not even fitting another brand of  breaker .

I thought about that while at the printers , they moved two small 3ph machines to a remote area, below an ancient HRC dist. Bd.  with only one row of spare ways.   I found myself mounting three  TP breakers in an empty metalclad consumer unit  and feeding it from the 30A ways . 

OMG!  How terrible is that ?  I'll hand myself in to the Electric Police tomorrow . ;)

Hi Mark2spark,

If I understand correctly, you have 7 circuits, 5 on peak and 2 off peak and 2 existing boards.

If the boards have standard DIN rails and the Main Switches are compatible with my RCBOs, all you would need would be 7 x Compact RCBOs @ £13.00 plus 2 sets of busbars, say £9.00 the lot. That comes to £100.00 less 10% disc. = £90.00 +VAT.

Worst case scenario is you fit 2 of my much smaller boards complete with Main switch, Compact RCBOs and busbars for £130.00 less 10% = £117.00 + VAT.

The first option saves you a pile of time replacing the existing boards; the second option gives you much more room in the studwall recess.

Both options totally eliminate nuisance trip, especially with your pony storage heaters.

So the question is, is your customer prepared to pay just £37.00 more for the best protection possible?

At least you are now in a position to give them various options.

SBS Dave