Was Economy 7 now isn't?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daddydisco

Reaction score
I have a Dimplex Storage heater XL5N connected to a fused spur as part of my economy seven electricity. I have recently decorated, so the storage heater was disconnected, and reconnected a few days later. The storage heater now remains on all the time? My wife tells me the dog knocked the storage heater over whilst disconnected but appears to be unharmed. Would this be a problem with the heater or the electricity?

Welcome to the forum Daddydisco, I have to ask, as you say the dog knocked the heater over. I am guessing this storage heater has the bricks inside it? was the dog alright? I think the other guys and girls of the forum will be able to give more technical help latter.

Doc H.

You are quite right, the heater did have bricks inside but the dog was fine. He could do with a bump on the head to knock some sense into him, choc labs are not renowned for their mental ability!

Welcome to the forum :)

I can maybe help with the dog!

Is this just a storage heater or does it have a convector heater combined?

Its just a storage heater, I think the model is XL5N.

As for the dog I think he is beyond help!

All sounds very strange - I'm not a electrician so can't help. All I'll ask is was any other work done on the electrics? Is there a red neon light where the heater connects to the wall? Is that on all the time?

Yea the heater runs to a fused spur with a red indication light, the light is on constantly along with the heater 24/7 rather than the normal economy 7 period. I have to leave it off as having it on all the time just isn't cost efficient.

something wierd has happened. A fcu can't suddenly become live all the time when it used to only be live at night. Usually you will have a 2nd consumer unit (fuse box) that the storage heaters etc will run off. Something else must have changed somewhere. Do you have other storage heaters? Are they behaving themselves?

I previously had 3 storage heaters which were economy 7. I removed two of these as I only used the convection parts of them so I replaced them with something which looked a bit nicer. So I cant really check to see if the others are doing the same. No work has been done on the main fuse box, it was just a decorate job. Could it be possible that the electricity company have switched it from economy seven? Or would it be something that is done at the point on the consumer unit?

Thanks for the help by the way!

Just a quick question

is there one fcu ??

or is there two connected to the storage heater

some set ups have an override switch that is connected to main consumer unit to give you heat during the day

There is one connected to the storage heater. The heater has one cable which runs to a switchable fuse spur. Each storage heater has its own fuse in the main consumer unit but no switches.

Yea the main consumer unit for the house is a single one which basically is split into two. Each side has its own main switch and the left side has fuses for the 3 storage heaters - I presume this is the economy seven side and the other has a main switch and fuses for the normal stuff, sockets, upper and lower lighting, non storage heaters and the cooker.

The meter is outside so I will do that when it stops raining! I have just been on to British Gas as they supply the electricity as I have noticed a problem with the meter. With economy seven you have 2 readings on the meter, the economy seven or the night low cost meter has not moved since around summer time. So I think this may be related. Presumably:O as the cheaper rate has not been moving then I have been paying full rate for everything for the last 6 months. :eek:

there may be a seperate time clock. ive came accross a few faulty clocks where its stuck at a certain time, leaving heaters either on or off. if there is a seperate clock, look at see what time its on. if it doesnt move, contact supplier and get it changed

Nice one cheers.

Do you mean a clock on the meter? The meter is digital but I will go and have a look see what its showing, that might explain a few things. They are sending somebody to check the meter tomorrow too.

Nice one cheers.Do you mean a clock on the meter? The meter is digital but I will go and have a look see what its showing, that might explain a few things. They are sending somebody to check the meter tomorrow too.
there is often a seperate time clock to switch the off peak. looks similar to a central heating time clock, one dial for 24 hours with a adjustable times for on/off

newer setup is 1x meter with 2 displays and a built in siwtch