What Do I Need To Watch 3D movies at home?..

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the other thing giving HD a bad name, people buying an HDTV and expecting everything to be HD. (Not meaning you Andy, I see you know the score. ;) ) A lot of people see digital TV\the switchover and HDTV as being all the same so therfore new HDTV with Freeview = better pictures. Usually it's the opposite.
This is also true of HD Ready, which = 720P, so before you buy, check that the TV supports 1080P (typically 32" and above). Panasonic advertise some 1080P sets as Full-HD.

I suspect some of the content on ITV HD during non-peak maybe SD or at best 720P

I'd also recommend spending a little extra buying sets that include FreeViewHD, a large part of the UK can now receive BBC1 HD, ITV HD and Ch4 HD after the 2012 switch over a lot of bandwidth will be freed up and more of the channels will be able offer HD content if they choose to.

admin why dont you go to one of the cedia exibitions they have home cinema 3d technology smart home technology all on display as well as seminars on how to install and what the future holds on this type of technology.

admin why dont you go to one of the cedia exibitions they have home cinema 3d technology smart home technology all on display as well as seminars on how to install and what the future holds on this type of technology.
So far as I recall they have two a year, one in London, the other in Manchester

Might be worth a trip to the Gadget Show live at the NEC, April 12th-17th 2011

http://www.gadgetshowlive.net/

I am not a fan of TV but my wife, who won Sky full package for life in a competition, lives for her TV. She says she can see little or no difference in HD and will not even think of 3D as it is just so new. I have to agree with her but hope she don't ever read this . :C :C

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not a fan of TV but my wife, who won Sky full package for life in a competition, lives for her TV. She says she can see little or no difference in HD and will not even think of 3D as it is just so new. I have to agree with her but hope she don't ever read this . :C :C
Possibly the best value Sky deal I've ever heard

Out of curiosity are you watching full 1080 on a TV that supports 1080?, as I've said before I've installed a lot of TV's I've yet to find anyone who could not see the difference when you watch true HD content

I think it is down to pilot error half the time. I am afraid I am a bit of a gadget nerd myself and I have heard people say that they can't see the difference between HD/SD. I have set my entire system up around HD. My Blu Ray / XBOX 360 / SKY HD / Apple TV etc etc etc all run at 1080p through a high quality AV receiver. This gives me true digital sound output so I hear the film / programme as it was recorded and intended to be played back. This is half the battle won. The AV receiver then outputs to a decent 1080p 600 Hz LCD TV. People who see stuff through my set-up have admitted that there is actually a big difference. I didn't fit Bang & Olufsen or anything costing tens of thousands, but did my research and got the best in my budget. I bought the very best cables I could get my hands on at the time and only use decent components.

As with everything, technology becomes obsolete very quickly and although my TV is 12 months old now, I will keep it for about another 12 months and then have a look at what is around. 3D TV is something I will keep my eye on but am not rushing out to buy as it will be 3-5 years before it is developed to its true potential. All this technology dates very quickly and you have to move with it or risk getting lost. My wife hates it when I change things 'for the sake of it'. "Why do we need a new telly - that one is only 2 yrs old and works fine???!!!"

Remember - HD is what it is meant to be, you need to just have the right kit and realise that some things are better in HD than others. E.g nature docs / action / animation work very very well, whereas things like Eastenders are less impressive.

One of the best companies I could ever recommend for anyone wanting to buy either a new TV or in fact a complete cinema system are Richer Sounds. Those guys are completely clued up to offer the best advice.

+1

Totally agree with everything you say here Cirrus. Rarely a need to go ''top of the range'' to get a good AV system that impresses.

Often used Richer Sounds for cables and the like. Don't know about now, but when i was using them they stocked mainly deleted models at really good prices. Just because a model has been superseded, doesn't mean there out of date in their technology. Best buy i had from them was a REL sub-woofer that i still use. I'm sure if i were still back in the UK, i'd still be a regular customer!! ...lol

I have a Samsung backlit LED tv which gives a superb picture and just bought a Humax freesat HD tuner & recorder. The HD channels are slightly better (maybe only slightly because its a great tv) but when switching to something like Dave, then back to Itv HD you can really see the difference.

My brother works for one of the world leaders of 3D software and from chatting with him 3D tv wont be around long as they have been working with HD 3D projectors for a while now. One project is for a major car manufacturer where the 'car' is projected into the room and you can spin it around, open doors etc. It has even fooled people that have walked in to the room.

Latest posts