What sat nav do you guys use?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my PDA satnav is a bit hit n miss, sometimes works perfectly, other times it keeps crashing.... comes in useful having someone in a different time zone who can get google maps at 2am!

other than thats, its great. got loads of extra POI on there - fuel station, HGV layby's, low bridges, speed cameras etc

Still using an A-Z (paper book map thingy).IMO, faster, quicker & easier.

Don`t want ruddy prat-nav
Applaud SmileyApplaud Smiley:x

ah!!!

A man after my own heart.....

Soon we will evolve into a generation of beings who CANNOT read a map!!! ]:) ] :)

Whenever I get a new customer, once I have their address & post code over the phone, I then go onto the royal mail website & log onto their Postcode/Address finder, where you can print out the full Royal mail postal address (so you post invoices etc. to the correct place)

Also it has the option to print out a location map of where the post code points to.

Copy of that and me trusty A-Z.. all good!

never had a problem.

;) :)

a-z for meseen too many people go the wrong way down a slip road following the sat nav !!!!
Applaud SmileyApplaud Smiley:D

good man Theory!!!

I have started seeing an increase in road signs with amended details stating something like "Inappropriate Sat Nav Route"

To stop people being sent down impassable roads! That are perfectly clearly impassable on the A-Z or OS map!!!

I Have a Becker, DON'T BOTHER!It's Always trying to send me daft ways even when I know the shortest/fastest way. headbang

It's only any use to me when I reach my destination and am trying to find a specific address.

One plus point I suppose. it comes with maps of Europe so when we were in Lanzarote on holiday,we hired a car and found the villa no probs, and no it doesn't speak Spanish:p
Que :^O

I find that watches are to complecated to tell the time with, so I'm still old skool and use a sun dial.

PITA when its dark thoughROTFWL

I bought a used PDA a couple of years ago and then shelled out for TomTom Navigator 6 (direct from TT) only to find that because the PDA wasn't on TT's list of approved devices they wouldn't give any technical support. No advice on activating maps, nothing. They wouldn't even take back the unactivated product, even though it was no use to me!

In the end I managed to get the maps activated, through, um, "alternative" technical information sources. TomTom have had the last of my money, I tried to be an honest customer but they didn't want to help me, so from now on I'll get my maps elsewhere. Sod 'em.

(Not advocating piracy, you understand. Oh no, not me....... ;) )

I'm not the only one to find TomTom's "support" to be a joke, they are noted for it. They have the attitude of "If you don't like it, go elsewhere", which is fine, but not AFTER they have taken your money.

I have no idea what their stand-alone units are like. I won't be buying one to find out.

Actually I prefer to use paper maps/streetmaps etc, I only use the TomTom when I'm abroad or looking for POI's (campsites, cashpoints etc). I think the widespread use of satnavs is contributing to the general dumbing down of society, some people can't seem to differentiate between their arse and their elbow unless their satnav tells them so. Even then it can be wrong, but they have lost the common sense to see that for themselves. (Jeez, that brings some disturbing images to mind)

I found this site to be good for info on all sorts of satnav units:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/

I'm not the only one to find TomTom's "support" to be a joke, they are noted for it.
I've never needed to use TomToms support, or any support really. The internet does come in handy for some things, others just need a bit of common sense and patience applying to it. Nothing's perfect.

I use a local a-z and find it excellent

I have sat nav (Nokia Maps) and it's good for locating actual houses

They both have their faults - the a-z does not have the newer houses as it is 3 years old, but the sat nav also has errors like this

I use Orange satnav on my Blackberry.

The up side is I always have my phone on me and as they are live they are always up to date. Only cost a fiver a month too.

The down side is they are slow to start up, rely on network coverage for startup and are really basic in comparison to proper systems. I dont want another gadget in the van though. already running the phone and ipod.

I've used garmin, tomtom and others over the years, but the best I ever used was on my old Windows phone. up to date, tracked traffic problems and camera positions without costing any extra. The only down size was the small screen.

I've never needed to use TomToms support, or any support really. The internet does come in handy for some things, others just need a bit of common sense and patience applying to it. Nothing's perfect.
Actually, I meant their "After Sales Service", rather than tech support. Common sense or patience didn't enter into it, the issue I had was directly with their sales team.

Luckily common sense and patience was useful in seeking out the info to crack their product, something I'd never have considered if they had treated me like a valued customer, or even a customer, rather than a mug.

Their loss.......

Latest posts