What type of conduit for outdoors lighting?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElectronGlow

Reaction score
I would like to fit a couple of LED floodlights along the house external wall and have been given to understand that the electrical cable needs to be run inside of a conduit of some sort. I would like to ask what sort of conduit I will require in order to meet current standards please?

Use plastic but be aware of it expanding and contracting according to temperature.
Or use Galvanised steel which may be overkill but will stay straight.
Most people clip the cable direct to mortar joints?

Use plastic but be aware of it expanding and contracting according to temperature.
Or use Galvanised steel which may be overkill but will stay straight.
Most people clip the cable direct to mortar joints?
I would be happy to just clip it to the mortar joint with cable clips but I have been told that this would not meet regulations these days?

Does anything rule out plastic trunking with clip on lid and sheathed T&E inside it?
Not sure how UV stable it is, got a feeling I have dealt with a bit a few years ago that was outside as it was shattered, when I was removing it it just disintegrated in my hands as it was so brittle.
Not sure if it was just a cheap bit bit of trunking or if it is a general thing with plastic trunking. I do know I have never used it outside because of that, I suppose it would also be a pain to get good neat joints into fittings.

I Just clip a length of R07 Hidden as well as possible if I have to run between fittings ,which is rare if no route inside to use .

If its good enough for trailing around flower beds it's good enough for me .

I would be happy to just clip it to the mortar joint with cable clips but I have been told that this would not meet regulations these days?
It's not that clipping cable to an exterior wall doesn't comply with current regulations. It's the type of cable that you use. Twin and skin does not like the sunshine and will become brittle over time and likely crack.

I'm assuming @sirsparkabit meant H07, but could be wrong. H07 is a type of flex, H07RN-F being the fully code for it.

You are going to struggle neatly clipping a flexible rubber cord I would personally use NYY-J.