what van to start off in?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomas123

Reaction score
I currently work full time and looking at setting up my own business on the side.

I havent got a clue what van to get though, i own an astra sport hatch, so instinctively i've been looking at an astra van.

What are your opinions? too small? My concerns are i cannot get a van vault in one, well i can but i wouldnt open.

Also looking at a transit connect.

Sign writing, i have an idea. you know the magnetic learner L plates you can get? I would get a magnetic sheet that fits the side of the van and have the company logo etc printed on it. I can then remove it when i drive to my full time job and my employer would be none the wiser:tongue in cheek

something big enough to fit all your stuff in. i used to use an astra estate, but that was too small. but now even MWB high roof van is too small at times....

i used to have a transit connect whilst working for someone else a few years ago. not a bad van, and can get a reasonable amount in the back.

as for magnetic stickers, i would avoid it. doesnt really look professional.

I've got a transit 260 swb and like Andy says it's too small at times. Only drawback is its slow lol. If your thinking of buying a diesel before 02 plate and live in low emission zone be careful and check first. Not sure if your from London way or not?

Good idea on the magnetic signs.

there is no way you can keep it a secret. they will find out eventually. maybe tomorrow, maybe next month

(or just do what i done for 6 month... took my fully sign written van to work on an almost daily basis)

just check your contract of employment,?

you have 2 issues arising here,

1 conflict of interests, do you work as an electrician in your day job?

2 intellectual property rights, what knowledge do you gain from your present place of work? I dont mean general electrical knowledge, more specific product knowledge and contracts etc, are you privvy to info the general public cannot access, or that would otherwise cost you money to obtain?

I started with a Ford Ranger, loved it as a car rubbish as a van for what I was doing and no roof rack!

Moved on to a Transit Connect, did me for a year or 2, though I have now had it since Nov 07.

I am now looking at a LWB extra high top Transit, VW Crafter, Iveco Daily, or Mercedes Sprinter, anything else will jsut be TOOO small!

Sad I know.

Maybe HGV 1 next & a kitted out 40' trailer!!!

:coat

Have had a connect diesel for about 4 years and can recommend.Loads of space fast reasonably economical and reliable.Dave

Kinell Dave, mine is stacked to the gunnels with kit hanging from the roof and all!!!

I can't get enough in it if I am away for the week!!!

However, I like the van it drives like a car almost.

I have air con in mine too!!!

It will also reach 70 mph! ;)

I get aroung 350 (ish) per tank diesel, though it is almost always fully loaded mass wise.

Gotta watch the magnetic signs as they pick up all sorts of ****e that then scratches the heck out of the panels of your van
I was thinking of getting magnetic signs but I've got my doubts now!!

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:25 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:21 ----------

I have a Transit connect and so far seems to be adequate for what I want. Drives like a car and fairly economical too.

Kinell Dave, mine is stacked to the gunnels with kit hanging from the roof and all!!!I can't get enough in it if I am away for the week!!!

However, I like the van it drives like a car almost.

I have air con in mine too!!!

It will also reach 70 mph! ;)

I get aroung 350 (ish) per tank diesel, though it is almost always fully loaded mass wise.
saying how many miles per tank isnt really useful.

i get about 250 to a tank, yet my dads older van, almost identical, done about 700. difference being he had a very large tank

Andy,

I know that, but I was comparing with another Connect in my eyes, in the earlier post.

I never work on mpg anyway I work on p per mile, it is in my eyes a better way to assess your running costs and it is how I charge my customers.

Latest posts