Xtratherm boards

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky999

Reaction score
Alright guys and gals,

Just wondering what you do when u have a 3 inch board in between the joists and a further 3 inch xtratherm board on top of the joists plus the boarding.

How do u make a hole so u get good space to fit an eyeball or tilt downlight.

On site for this company we have worked for a long while have got rid of the foreman and changed plasterers, we use to use spray paint so plaster can leave gap in these boards.

Got there 2 day and no hole left where the paint was sprayed so we have had to cut it all out 6 inch of it so its enough to fit the wings of lights in.

I had a similar problem, however I was there when the boards went in.

I made holes in the boards, first cut with a 150mm hole saw then enlarged enough as per instructions with the specific downlighters.

This involved me doing very precise measurements to center the holes once the plasterboard was fitted.

This is one reason why I hate downlights, they go against building regs when it comes to insulation!

The ceiling I did I made the joiners batton out a 50mm "draft run" explaining that I needed ventilation for the heat, or I would not fit them.

I had a similar problem, however I was there when the boards went in.I made holes in the boards, first cut with a 150mm hole saw then enlarged enough as per instructions with the specific downlighters.

This involved me doing very precise measurements to center the holes once the plasterboard was fitted.

This is one reason why I hate downlights, they go against building regs when it comes to insulation!

The ceiling I did I made the joiners batton out a 50mm "draft run" explaining that I needed ventilation for the heat, or I would not fit them.
in what way do they?

in what way do they?
Precise measurements?

Well you have to place the downlights in the middle of a hole you previously cut, and now is totally hidden from view by plaster board.

Wrongly measured would mean that you make a hole where there is no void, and all the previous work would be destroyed.

I assume you mean that.

I fyou mean the Joiners, then simple, no void for ventilation no downlights, this was expressed to the client who insisted that the joiners did as they where told. ROTFWL

No I was asking why 'they go against building regs when it comes to insulation!'

I always drill the holesaw pilot then us a bent wire set to the radius I need, poke it through the pilot hole and check that I've still got the centre point, if not adjust accordingly.

Ahh, I understand now.

The reason I said that is the requirement the manufacturer puts in its instructions for "ventilated" area.

Most ceilings do not have any airflow because of the nature of the insulation.

As a result the lights will run very hot, which would reduce the fittings lifespan, and lower the efficiency of the fitting.

As we all know normal cable subjected to prolonged heat will become brittle over time.

I just think there should always be some escape for the heat.

We all know that there are lamps designed for this but the customer will invariable replace the lamp with a standard and not even realise the possible heat problems.

Cheers GH yh i did this to the other downlights that hadnt been borded then told the plasterers what was to be done.

done a job a while back - drilled a 150mm hole through insulation board before ceiling was plastered. the next day, LABC came to check extension before the plasterboards were installed. told him he would need to add more insulation above the holes i made

They just dont understand do they. What would there come back be if it catchs fire.

O well they should of cut insulation out to avoid it happening they would get out of it.

Latest posts