Aerial Question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m4tty

Scaredy cat™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

As you may know I do know much about aerials :(

Mum wants a tv in bedroom as she's starting chemo for 3rd time now so I'm redoing the whole bedroom for her ceilings coming down new one up with led downlighters and tv is being flushed into wall as much as possible. I'm doing it whilst she's going away on cruise for few week before starting threatment.

I've got to do it perfect as I'm sure my dad will be watching over me in spirit as cancer got better of him last year and he was a perfectionist who built an extension and loft conversion on his own.

She's got a pretty old aerial up on roof which runs to tv at front of house.

Can I cut into the cable and use a splitter or will that cause probs to downstairs tv?

What's best way of doing it ?

Cheers

With digital as it is now cutting onto it will probably not be an issue, in fact putting an amp in can now be too much depending on where you are.

Good quality Sat100 cable will be good if its not use already.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use these for all my aerial needs:

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/

Assuming you're on about a standard Freeview type install rather than Sky etc? Have you considered a cheap Freesat system?

Back to "normal" aerials, this site will help you choose an aerial specific to your area / transmitter. Lots of things to consider like the "Band", the polarisation of the aerial etc. I live in the BOTTOM of a valley with a damn great hill in between me and the transmitter at Crystal Palace. I HAD had some success building my own Band A Yagi aerials but in the end went for an XB16A from ATV (btw it's 'effin enormous): It's on a pole 50m from the house. I WAS determined NOT to be "forced" down the satellite route but in all honesty the HD sat kit has come down in price so much now I'd go that route.

Going a tad off topic but RF has always been a bit of a hobby. I've actually knocked up a couple of proper old school "trough" aerials for two neighbours - one I did from mesh and the other from aluminium sheet. Think a two dimensional parabolic dish concentrating the signal onto a little dipole slapped in the middle etc, they work a treat.

Last edited by a moderator:
In this area signal is good and I've split the cable on loft arials quite often , put in a 2nd downlead,   worked a treat , no ghosting etc. 

However I always warn them that I know nothing and if it s no good they need a proper guy. 

Last time was for a regular customer , when we rewired yonks ago, we put two downleads in .  Guy never had a TV .  Never there , we think he is  M16 TBH    Now he.s married & needs a TV .   Just fitted two cheapo arials from Denmans , pointed them at Sutton Coldfield and jobs a good 'un.

Hi,

As you may know I do know much about aerials :(

Mum wants a tv in bedroom as she's starting chemo for 3rd time now so I'm redoing the whole bedroom for her ceilings coming down new one up with led downlighters and tv is being flushed into wall as much as possible. I'm doing it whilst she's going away on cruise for few week before starting threatment.

I've got to do it perfect as I'm sure my dad will be watching over me in spirit as cancer got better of him last year and he was a perfectionist who built an extension and loft conversion on his own.

She's got a pretty old aerial up on roof which runs to tv at front of house.

Can I cut into the cable and use a splitter or will that cause probs to downstairs tv?

What's best way of doing it ?

Cheers

First of all I would get an idea if you are in a strong or weak signal strength area..

Stick the post code into here, it will give you a rough idea of suggested types of aerial +/- amplifiers  etc..

http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe

If in a good strong signal area then splitting shouldn't be too much of a problem between two outlets.

good link specs,

Ive actually split my aerial into 3 !!!

although there is only ever 2 on at a time, but the picture is spot on , absolutely no difference in quality.

I would say good cable and 'F' type connectors help too .

Agreed...

Cable is a very big factor IMHO...

especially if a longish run...

and/or

it goes near any of the other mains cables in the house while traveling between floors.

put amp on aerial a few years ago, and it made things worse. Denmans do a good 'in attic' aerial for around £25, used this and roughly pointed it towards transmitter - works brill with digital signal.

Hope everything goes well with your mum.

Why not try digital TV aerial. I am sure it will help in getting clear images wherever you put your television set. This is just a suggestion. You can always consult others.

Why not try digital TV aerial. I am sure it will help in getting clear images wherever you put your television set. This is just a suggestion. You can always consult others.

M4tty

I cant find the Gold Plated choc blocks with silk and latex insulation tape in a range of pastel colours any more.   :facepalm:

Best deal with it at the power supply  . . .  This will turn any power connection into a flux-capacitor and reverse the atomic spin to avoid audible creases . . .

http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-NRG-WEL-Signature-Series/dp/B0055OM9WS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_1

nb the reviews and suggestions are almost better than the product . . but not quite . . . Works well plugged into a Wilko shaver adapter . . .